• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead Mobo or PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trent

Ive been having random lock ups, computer was completely stabile while at school, but after bringing it home it started locking up at random. Naturally being away from my apartment at school I have none of my spare motherboard or old cpu or old ram to test with. I also upgraded from a gf3ti200 to ati 9600xt and the lock ups continued (not the cause of the problem) However when I turned the system off last night because of crashing, this morning it wouldnt boot at all, it isnt throwing any beeps, just push power button and all the fans and drives seem to spin up but other than that nothing, temps were only 39C under prime so it wasnt heat related crashing. Im reasonably sure its not the cpu because I did manage to get the system to boot once this morning but it crashed about 10 min into use and really wont boot now. So this leaves me to believe that either my power supply(enermax 350watt) has pretty much died, or my relatively new nf7-s is shot. I should say that ive never run above 200 fsb and not had the volts up at all, 1.75 on the cpu, default on everything else. a while back I had to move some hds out of my system when i upgraded to the 2500+ before changing to the nf7s because of lack of power, now Im wondering (hoping) that its just the psu that is gone, otherwise I am going to be really screwed because I cannot afford to buy another motherboard at all, I have an antec true430 back in my other machine at school, and I would try to use the psu out of my parents computer that Im using at the moment but it is only a 250watt and most definately doesnt have enough power for my system. Any ideas would be greatly appriciated because I really need to get this system back up and running if possible.

It the fans and CD-ROm drives work, then it's probably not the PSU. Did you make sure all your components are seated properly?
Any beeps at all.

Remove the mobo form the case and try booting with only the mobo, cpu, vid card and h/d and see it that works. Anything is worth trying right now.

If the mobo is the problem, you can always RMA it to whoever you bought it from or ABIT itself. I think they have a 3yr waranty on the mobo, so don't worry about not being able to get a replacement for it.

there are no beeps at all, and short of taking the board out Ive pulled and reseated all the cards, ram, not the cpu because like I said all of my computer stuff is back at my apartment and not at my parents house so I dont have any thermal compond.

Did you try moving your stick of RAM to another DIMM slot? Try that. I once forgot to replace my RAM onto the mobo and I did not get any beeps either.

From here on, you're gonna have to replace your components with your components that work to see which one is the faulty one.

abit is outstanding with their replacements. i stabbed my mobo with a screwdriver (what a retard) and it took a total of 10 days to get a new one (4 days ship to them, 4 days to ship to me, and 2 days to process/verify rma and validate the purchase)

I guess Ill have to call abit at some point this weekend then to get an rma, of course Im going to have to end up shipping this back to them without a static bag or the box, since that stuff is down at my apartment and I wont be back there until the middle of jan.

Back