• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need amd board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JustinGB

Registered
Hey, I was planning originally on getting a p4 2.4c 800fsb, and abit is7. Unfortunately, Christmas didn't yield as much money as i thought. hehe :) anyways, I've decided to sacrfice, and save some money by getting an amd system. What would be a good motherboard for an xp processor? Any suggestion and price range is fine, $100 around there most preferable :) Thank you. I'm sure I could get a really good mobo for $100.. i think so :) plz help me, thank you

Abit NF7-S

I picked one up last week for $102 at newegg. They usually hover right over 100 dollars.

I just got an Abit NF7-S as well. Very nice and inexpensive. By the way it's not too much of a sacrafice getting an AMD system! Some would argue that your better off anyhow! ;)

AMD i would say is a lot more stable than P4's, IMO... i am gettig NF7(non s model) and i am getting almost all new parts. accept for HD and vid card. so i am basically getting ride of most of my old pc. i am getting the 1700+, they oc very well. :) have fun

The NF7 Rev2.0 is undoubtedly the best motherboard for Generation 7 Athlon Processors. Paired up with a Barton and two sticks of memory for DCDDR your well away.

Sp1k3 said:
AMD i would say is a lot more stable than P4's, IMO... i am gettig NF7(non s model) and i am getting almost all new parts. accept for HD and vid card. so i am basically getting ride of most of my old pc. i am getting the 1700+, they oc very well. :) have fun

Why would you say that AMD is much more stable than Intel? I dont see AMD processors with proper thermal throttling. Its near enough impossible to burn-out a Intel processor. Intel are so much more used for the low/mid range level servers than AMD are. The high level servers are often made totally of other systems running internal clusters yet these clusters commonly use Intel Processors.

Craig

Why would you say that AMD is much more stable than Intel? I dont see AMD processors with proper thermal throttling. Its near enough impossible to burn-out a Intel processor. Intel are so much more used for the low/mid range level servers than AMD are. The high level servers are often made totally of other systems running internal clusters yet these clusters commonly use Intel Processors.

Craig

well craig since you have to be gay about it, what i reallly meant AMDs are a better system then Intels, for gaming and other graphical related programs. you are right about the servers. just you get a lot more for what you pay for with AMD. Bang for your buck heard of it? i guess not. As far as ocing AMD does circles around Intel. The only thing that Intel has got that AMD doesnt is, being able ot handle more extreme heats. And i have an intel for 2 years, and it hasnt being to well with cooling, its a peice of SH@7! i get like 70C on that SH@7er i hate that thing. i have to have a huge fan next to it with the side panel off, and i didnt even overclock it!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you dont like that go cry somewhere

Last edited:
sp1ke you really don't know what you're talking about. In a proper instal neither is "more stable" - how can you be more stable than 100% stable?

Everybody knows what bang for buck amd brings, but that has nothing to do with your original argument.
If you have nothing constructive to say, then please don't say anything.

well for one i meant that is better certain things, like AMDs are BETTER for gaming and certain programs! why are you getting al bent out of shape for a false understanding, of the situation. what i meant about stable was that is a nicer system.... IMO!! dont get mad since that is my opionon! they are a lot smoother running.

im not at all bent out of shape, but here's a few facts

1) amd's tbred/barton erea of cpu's arent better for anything. Anything my 2.4ghz amd tbred can do, a p4 can do it better - it's just a fact.
2) p4's are smoother in my experiance. hyper-threading actually does make a difference in windows.
3) i can count on one hand the amount of benchmarks ive seen that show the bartons/tbred's ect to be faster for gaming., while i've lost count of the benchmarks that show the p4's to be faster
4) If a p4 system is totally, 100% stable, how can your AMD system be even more stable? it can't.

If you've had bad experiances with intel than that's too bad, but everything you have said is nonsence.

ok i say expeirence matters, not bench marks. benchmarks matter some great deal, but you could have a P4 and it has state of the art crap in it . you get some amd parts and you could match its abillity (for much less money). further more i dont care about how many bench marks you have seen or havent seen. i base things on exsperience. number tell you little about a system when experience will tell you everything you need to know abou it.

and another thing i never said jack **** about barton era. so i dont know what you are reading. about me saying any bull **** about bartons!

i said in my experince. Now if you think amd are faster - prove it. my 2.4ghz amd can barely keep up with a 3.2 p4c and most 2.4c's are doing well beyond that thesedays. How on earth you can think that is a mystery to me. again im talking from experiance, not just benchmarks.

The only thing AMD has going for them is bang-per-buck, and thats the only reason i have an amd based rig.

for your information sp1ke, the bartons and tbred run the same sockets, and have near identcal performance. now, since we are talking about AMD motherboard, and the nf7-s has been suggested, you'd better be talking about the tbred/barton cpu's, otherwise you're totally off-topic and shouldnt even be posting in this thread.

you need to calm down a little.

that IS the point sp1ke. Since you can't compare the two, how can you say AMD are just as fast or better for gaming?

Its either one or the other sp1ke, not both.

if you had a ****ing 2.4 P4 and a ****ing 2.4 AMD which will do better dumbass!? i would say the AMD! that is IMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont care what your little gay benchmarks tell you, i am basing mine fom experience and talking to ppl.

and sorry for this convo justingb

Sp1k3 said:
if you had a ****ing 2.4 P4 and a ****ing 2.4 AMD which will do better dumbass!? i would say the AMD! that is IMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont care what your little gay benchmarks tell you, i am basing mine fom experience and talking to ppl.

and sorry for this convo justingb

lol. that says it all really sp1k3. How can you compare an overclocked amd at 2.4ghz to a stock 2.4ghz p4? you can't. Try comparing the 2.4ghz p4 to a t.bred 2400+, then you'll see:)

I don't need to make any further comments on this:)

//on topic

JustinGB - you'll love the nf7-s. it's a fantasic board, that i can tell you, and while it wont be as fast as an overclocked p4, it'll still be an extreamly fast rig. I'm sure you'll enjoy it:)

flaming reported. you are wrong in so many ways. While i respct your own opinions, don't confuse them with facts - because 9/10 of them are wrong, such as comparing a heavily overclocked tbred with a stock p4. you call me a dumbass? on what grounds?

Don't you realise that a 2.4ghz amd is classed as something like an xp3500+?being an xp3500, it should in theory compare to a 3.5ghz p4, should it not? Now, how do you think they would compare? i'll tell you, the p4 would be a good deal faster. Much faster infact.

Back