• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Low Tech Relay.. sorta

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

repilce

I've found myself working on things and turning the comp on and fogetting to plug the pump back in... discussed many time here.

While at *Walmart (lol) today.. i found an item for 7.50 that you plug in and has a RF remote.. (works a good deal away) to turn the power of/on.. i bought another powerstrip for things i want to have power to all the time.. and used this item on my power strip for monitor , computer, pump, and PSU for my lights... so when i shut the comp off and want the pump off. just push a little button on the remote and everything goes down.. then before i can turn my comp back on.. i have to turn it all on again and my pump along with it.. at the press of a button.. pretty nice safty fallback for elcheapo.. :D

as in a safty...... umm... percaution.. yeh that might be a better word.. so that i dont fry my CPU by not having my pump on :D

nice plan repilce - it protects you from starting up without the pump on.

Personally I would be looking for something that shut the pump off w/ the computer so it wouldn't be on alone.

I have a $5 power bar (from Canadian Tire :D) that has a switch. Seeing as how both the pump, and computer are plugged into it, I need to turn the switch on to turn the computer on, which also turns on the pump. and I turn it off everytime I turn my computer off.

I would prefer a normal relay though - flipping the switch every time gets annoying!

That remote idea is awesome repilce - maybe I will go find this "Walmart" place you speak of :D ;)

What's wrong with it being on all by itself? I use a powerstrip for everything too, so that the computer can't be on without the pump on.

Nothing really wrong with the pump being on when th computer is off.....except that you are:
using electricity to do nothing but heat water (waste of money)
adding to the wear on your pump heating water

Really- there is no reason for the pump to be on if the computer is off.

I used to just use my switch on my power strip as well, but still found myself uplugging the pump instead of switching everything off on the strip :rolleyes:

so this works for me :D :beer:

Back