• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got wacky temp readings?.. see here.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

repilce

Well amongst all things i was get'n some real F'd up temp readings from my mobo sensors with various programs, and even probes..
I stumbled upon a laser temp gun and happend to be shooting the back of my mobo around my mosfets and such and the transformers.. well when i saw 55C :eek: i was like DA*#..

so for a getto temporary temp solution i hung a 80mm fan from the top of my case with the side panel off and let it blow against the back of the PCB..

i guess those parts were get'n so hot it caused the PCB to get DAM hot to and throw all my thermosisters off. just doing this not only cooled of the mosfets and such QUITE a bit ;) even on the front, but lowered my so called *bunny rabbits* "temps" around 10C!! yikes..

Just goes to show you should check around for "hot spots" on your board.. suprised ME how much that they can thrown things off :-/

cool...think u can mail me that temp gun?

..but i dont need it yet.

when i build my new computer here soon i am gona put a fan on the back of the motherboard and some other places. i am gona make a 2.4 p4 @3.4 go with a load at 33°C ....who knows maybe i could invent some kind of new water coling that cools the pvc down so much it cools the air........off to the drawing board......

;) those gun's are @#$@ handy :D, it's actualy a friend of mine's.. i might be get'n it though for working on his comp :D goes all the way up to 300C and down to -180C.. and is DAM acurate. :D

I have had a fan mounted on my motherboard wall, blowing directly on the back of the chip socket, for quite a while now.

It has resulted in a significant drop in CPU temps and I would highly recommend it as a mod.

Yes these guns are really cool. We use them at work to measure temps to compare against our thermal couple readings to make sure they are reading right. Here are some links to were you can buy them.

Pro Exotics Temp Gun

Raytek

Extech Instruments

We use the Rayteks at work, but they are expensive. The Pro Exotics are only $35, it might work alright dont really know.

clocker2 said:
I have had a fan mounted on my motherboard wall, blowing directly on the back of the chip socket, for quite a while now.

It has resulted in a significant drop in CPU temps and I would highly recommend it as a mod.

Hmm, are you using the motherboard sensor, or a separate temp probe touching the CPU core? If the temps are with the mobo sensor, you are just tricking the diode by blowing cool air over it, and the CPU temps didn't actually change.

Hmm, are you using the motherboard sensor, or a separate temp probe touching the CPU core? If the temps are with the mobo sensor, you are just tricking the diode by blowing cool air over it, and the CPU temps didn't actually change.

wouldnt that work both ways, if that the pcb is gettin hot because of your mosfets and high fsbs! wouldnt it "trick" the diod by adding heat to it that's NOT from your cpu? ;)

Back