New P4C800-E deluxe-Bios upgrade?

Will be setting up new mobo/system and was wondering how/if I should upgrade bios at 1st boot? I have seen lots of different ways and was thinking I probably should upgrade to most present update 1st? Howand probably should do this before I load XPpro. Will be using a new Seagate160g ultra 100 or I have maxtor 80g ultra 133 (1yr.old) Which drive do you think I should use as master aslo? Thanks for advice!

I'm about to do the same. You'll want to read your manual a few times to get a good feel for whats going on.

I made a bootable floppy (make sure its formated for MS-DOS) then downloaded the latest Bios from Asus. Unziped the file and then I copied the Bios file to the floppy and the AFUDOS.EXE file to the floppy.

When you first start up, boot the sytem from the floppy. Read page 4-1 and 4-2 in your manual. Remember to write the name of the file on a peice of paper so you can enter it at the DOS prompt.

Then reboot from hard disk.

Then install an OS.

*if anybody see's sometrhing wrong with what I have said please correct me. I'm still learning.

I would install windows with current bios and update vie ASUS bios utility. You can update right from windows and it works very well.

Originally posted by lansens
    I would install windows with current bios and update vie ASUS bios utility. You can update right from windows and it works very well.
    I think the new bios update rewrites the boot block also. Which requires you to use afudos.

I'd just set everything up first and make sure your board is working fine before proceeding to flashing its BIOS. After doing that, then I'd update the bios to the newest version (1014).

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/downl...800-E%20Deluxe

Just download the bios from the page above and read the instructions.

All you have to do is:

1) Create a boot disk in xp (or whatever OS you're using).
    2) Download the new 1014 bios file from above.
    3) Unzip the file and copy the two resulting files onto your boot disk.
    4) restart your computer and boot from the disk (make sure your floppy drive boots before your hard drive(s)).
    5) After your disk loads and you're at the A:> prompt, type "afudos /iP4CED14.ROM" (without the quotes), and then hit enter. So when you type it in, it should look like this:
    A:> afudos /iP4CED14.ROM

... and then you just hit enter. It then flashes your bios and all you have to do is restart your computer after it's done.

2.4C (SL6Z3) @ 3.9 GHz w/ 1.70v (FSB = 325 MHz | System Bus = 1.3 GHz)
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe (rev. 1.02) "droop", vDIMM, and vAGP modded with heatsinks on all FETs, Southbridge, and clock generator
    Prometeia Mach I
    Corsair XMS 3500 [BH-5 chips] (2 x 512MB) @ 2-6-2-2 w/ 3.23v
    eVGA 6800 GT @ 435 core / 1173 mem (modified BIOS - 1.4v)
    2 x 74 GB Raptors in RAID-0 (64K stripe size)
    Antec TruePower 550

"I woke up today thinking I will one day die. I wonder if one day I'll wake up thinking that I'm going to live."

Originally posted by tio
    I'd just set everything up first and make sure your board is working fine before proceeding to flashing its BIOS. After doing that, then I'd update the bios to the newest version (1014).

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/downl...800-E%20Deluxe

Just download the bios from the page above and read the instructions.

All you have to do is:

1) Create a boot disk in xp (or whatever OS you're using).
    2) Download the new 1014 bios file from above.
    3) Unzip the file and copy the two resulting files onto your boot disk.
    4) restart your computer and boot from the disk (make sure your floppy drive boots before your hard drive(s)).
    5) After your disk loads and you're at the A:> prompt, type "afudos /iP4CED14.ROM" (without the quotes), and then hit enter. So when you type it in, it should look like this:
    A:> afudos /iP4CED14.ROM

... and then you just hit enter. It then flashes your bios and all you have to do is restart your computer after it's done.
    Thanks Tio and everyone, I guess I was alittle confused about the 137g limitation because I think I'm going to use a 160g hdd to start. I did get a XPpro w/sp1a on it so I guess that should take care of it. I had read somewhere?maybe ms site that bios must also support ??something, that is why I figured if I automatically updated off the bat I'd be covered. I assume the shipping bios will be OK.

hipster some ppl have had trouble with Bios.1014 on this Mobo I am one as well. The best Bios. seems to be 1011 its up to you of course but if you try 1014 & don`t like it use 1011

Acko

Originally posted by Acko
    hipster some ppl have had trouble with Bios.1014 on this Mobo I am one as well. The best Bios. seems to be 1011 its up to you of course but if you try 1014 & don`t like it use 1011

Acko
    What type of problems? I'm using 1014 and everything apperas at least to be fine other than I receive a boot-up message screen saying overclock out of range when I'm running stock.Thanks

hipster if you have already installed Bios.1014 & have no probs. don`t worry about it.
    Acko