• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new to overclocking fx 5200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hoffmiester

hello im new to over clocking. i just bought a dell with a fx 5200 128mb not the greatest card so i figured id make it a lil better.. the core clock frequency was 250mhz and the memory clock frequency was 400mhz now they are 301/439. i want to now if this is to far for my dell standard fans.how will i know if i push the core clock frequency to high.. will i notice lagg or glitching ness or other things. thank u
Josh H.

Well I know if you push it to far you will see artifacts in games or benchmarking programs. They look like missing pieces in the monitor sorta thing.

Also if you download a benchmarking program and run it after you up the MHz in small increments and the score starts lowering then you have pushed it to far.

^^^ But don't go pushing your card until you can find artifacts cause i said so =P

Also if the memory on the graphics card is hot to the touch that isnt good. But before you do that you should see how the memory feels when it is running at stock speeds (make sure you are grounded). Hope I helped.

hoffmiester said:
hello im new to over clocking. i just bought a dell with a fx 5200 128mb not the greatest card so i figured id make it a lil better.. the core clock frequency was 250mhz and the memory clock frequency was 400mhz now they are 301/439. i want to now if this is to far for my dell standard fans.how will i know if i push the core clock frequency to high.. will i notice lagg or glitching ness or other things. thank u
Josh H.

301/439 is pretty good for a 5200. For most nVidia cards, you can expect to get around a 10% oc. Your current clock frequencies already exceed that 10% margin.

Have you tried benching your card yet? I usually cycle through 3 when I oc my card (3dMark03, 3dMark01se, and Aquamark3). Run those and see if you notice any artifacting. If you notice any little white dots (snowy effect), then you need to back off your core oc. If you notice blocky shapes surrounding any of the objects on the screen, that means you need to back off your ram oc.

Other than that, gaming is my fav way to test for stability. :D Your current air setup should be ok, as long as you've got decent system airflow. What are you using to monitor your temps???

ok this is me hoffmiester i coulndt get in with my old name. well right now im useing nothing to check temps i just feal the back of my case to see if its warm, i dont really like to open my case to check dont ask y. but do u know any good programs to check the temp thanks and u said that i did i good job ocing it thanks for saying that all my games run good no lines or any snow or any thing. im thinking i could push my card alot farther. im going to get 2 more fans in their cause i firgure i got it from dell thier cooling fans stink so i guess i should bye more so i dont blow up my card. is their any way i could oc my proceser i have a 2.66ghz????
Josh H.

my friend has a dell dimension 2350 and sisandra reported no temps at all for that system,dont know bout urs tho.The 5200 is not going much higher at all on the core clock than 300 so ur close to peaking there.the memory clock u might get 550 stable depending on the card cause i had an evga5200 and couldnt get higher than 430 on the mem. The mad dog version i hit 550.as far as oc'ing the cpu if ur bios is anything like my friends 2350 there are no options so ull have to get a program to run through windows. im not familiar with them soft fsb is 1 tho.goto the cpu forums for help on that.gl hope i could help a little

This is the app you need for monitoring your system temps.

stratcatprowlin: Sandra reads the system temps in from mbm5. So if your friend doesn't have mbm5 installed, then he won't get any temps reported through Sandra.

paintball: My feeling is, you might be able to push it a little farther, but I'm betting maybe only another 10-20 mhz. You're hella lucky if you get that card a whole lot higher than it already is without voltmodding it. Good luck though! Also, before you go adding a ton of mods to your case and such, check out the cooling forum for some good info on video card cooling. You might want to look into buying an aftermarket hsf to replace your stock one, and maybe pick up some ramsinks. www.svc.com has some good stuff!

As far as oc'ing your CPU goes, check out the CPU forum. I think there are quite a few theads posted regarding oc'ing a Dell. Good luck! ;)

YellowDart said:
This is the app you need for monitoring your system temps.

stratcatprowlin: Sandra reads the system temps in from mbm5. So if your friend doesn't have mbm5 installed, then he won't get any temps reported through Sandra.

yellowdart i have never had mbm5 installed on my pc so u are wrong about that.

What temp monitoring program do you have???

I've noticed that Sandra will post different temps to match whatever MBM reads in. Say for example, if I change my cpu sensor from Winbond2 to Winbond2 Diode, for example, my CPU temp will read differently. Sandra will always match what MBM reads for me... check it out...

shot 1
shot 2
shot 3

Take a look at the board sensor setting on the mbm5 settings window, the temp reading from Sandra, and MBM's reading (circled in system tray). If you don't have mbm5, I would assume that Sandra might be reading in from whatever temp monitoring software you're using...

lol... that's prolly just in my case then. I'd imagine your temps are being read off of your mobo directly from Sandra...

Back