• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Rig for $1000 can I do better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kickassclone

Registered
This is my first attempt at building a rig for myself.
I want to keep the cost of just the "box" to $1000-$1100.

I will be using this rig to game and maybe later add dvd burning capability. The most important thing I want is future upgradability and performance.

Here is what I picked out at newegg so far:

mobo: Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
Proc: Athlon 2500+ Barton
HD: Western Digital 160 gigabyte sata 7200 rpm
Memory: Mushkin ddr 400 512 mb
Cdrw: Lite on 52x32x52x
3.5" floppy Sony
GPU: Ati AIW Radeon 9600 Pro

Case: Kingwin 10 bay midtower
PSU Enermax Noisetaker 420 watt

CPU COOLING: ThermalTake Volcano 11+

This is just a start.

I want to oc in the future and was wondering if this is a good setup to do it with.

I will not buy a mobo without native serial ata support.

I want the most future upgradability bang for my dollar and the best performance I can get.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

:D

addendum

or if I could build a better system based on an Intel processor what should I get?

In my limited experience, I don't think you can do a lot better with an AMD system. The only suggestions would be:
1. another PSU. Haven't heard good things about Enermax lately (I think there was a thread somewhere around here stating that thing). I would go for some Antec or Fortron. I don't know about Fortron, but I own an Antec and it's extremely quiet and stable
2. the volcano is a good cooler but very noisy. So maybe a better idea (and more expensive also) would be to buy a thermalright heatsink and some quiet fan

Abit is a great board as far as overclocking is concerned. However, seing that he plans to buy aircooling for his new rig, I don't think he's planning to reach 260 FSB.
So, I guess they're pretty much the same at "low" FSB.
It's a matter of taste, you can't go wrong with neither NF7-S nor A7N8X DX.

You said you were into gaming? What kind of video card do you have. I suggest the Radeon 9600PRO, or, if you have money to spare, go with the Radeon 9800PRO thats about 350 dollars. oh, also with the 9800 pro, make sure its memory is 256 MB.

Oh, Im sorry. :S. Didnt see that radeon 9600pro, But again, I suggest going with the 9800pro if you have money to give out

Back