• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many "svchost" do you have?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

L&M

First of all, how many opened "svchost" processes should be in Task Manager?

I have 5: 3(system),1(network service) and 1(local service).

In the end: 1.how many do you have?
2.what's the right number?
Thanks.

2.what's the right number?
There is no "right number" of Svchost.exe processes per se'.
The Svchost.exe file is located in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs to load. Multiple instances of Svchost.exe can run at the same time. Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services, so that separate services can run, depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started. This allows for better control and easier debugging.
The following MSKB articles explain the Svchost.exe process, and may help you to understand why there's normally multiple instances of it running at any particular time...
A Description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];314056

Description of Svchost.exe in Windows 2000 ;)

I had some problems with "scvhost" = virus (not svchost) and since then I'm obsessed with any file that looks like it.When I saw 5 processes of svchost I really wanted to know more about it.
Anyway,thanks for infos.

Back