• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

photographic scanning

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IceMan3928

As an avid photographer my dad has recently gotten into using photoshop 7 as his "digital darkroom", but prefers to use a film type camera as opposed to a digital camera, so the question is brought up of how to get the image from the film onto the computer. One of the options we were considering was to buy a "film scanner" (i beleive the technical term is drum scanner?) to scan his negatives. The only catches being that it must be able to scan 35mm as well as Medium Format 120 film, and that when the photo is blown up to 8x10 it will still be high enough resolution to print at about 300 pixels/inch. So if anyone here has any suggestions as to where to find this type of scanner, reccomendations about specific models, or prices it would be quite helpful.

Yeah digital is great, but I still love 35mm B&W.

Some scanners (flatbed) also have an adapter for negatives, that way you can scan your current and future negative and scan your old photos.

But you still have to chemically treat the film, to expose it to scan it, any way you do it.

if you want to get into professional negative scanners, it starts to get really expensive, like 500 usd is the cheapest i have seen. Granted they are cool and all, but you really do pay a premium for a good scanner. Try to talk him into the new sub 1000 usd digitals with full manual controll, and lenses you can change, cannon makes some nice ones. But again for 500 USD for a negative scanner, you really are sacrificing quality, features, and speed.

I think hes probably too in love with his hasselblad to consider changing to digital. We were looking at the Minolta Scan Multi 2, but the only thing that we found suspicious about it was that in Medium Format mode it requires that some pixels be extrapolated by the computer to acheive an acceptable resolution...

Back