• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help FAST!!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ACTF_Heat

Registered
I just bought an a7n8x-x mobo. How can I tell if its revision 2? I need help fast because I bought it at one of those "super-sales" conventions. What info can I give you that would help you identify if its a good mobo?Thanks!

Please help....I dont know what the differences between this mobo and the a7n8x deluxe is.

The revision number should be located between the #2 and #3 pci slots. Stamped on the motherboard, you will see "ASUS A7N8X" in large type and right beside it in small type should be the revision number. To determine If its a deluxe model, you should see two connectors marked "pri_sata1" and "sec_sata1" near the edge of the board around the battery area.

Al

If you have the A7N8X-X model, then you wont have SATA or the Soundstorm audio.

Last edited:
Maximouse,Thank you sooooooooooo much! This is a revision 2 a7n8x-x,so it doesnt have the sata connectors. Do you think its still a decent mobo? Compare it to the Abit KD-7 that I have. How good is it in comparison?

Oh,and I just noticed that the mobo doesnt have that 4-pin power connector on the mobo---just the standard atx power connector

ACTF_Heat said:
Maximouse,Thank you sooooooooooo much! This is a revision 2 a7n8x-x,so it doesnt have the sata connectors. Do you think its still a decent mobo? Compare it to the Abit KD-7 that I have. How good is it in comparison?

See this link to the A7N8X-X:http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7n8x-x/overview.htm

The Abit KD7 is a Via Kt400 chipset. Supports 333FSB (I have one by the way)

The A7N8X-X is an Nforce2 Chipset. That model officially supports 400FSB.

I have an A7N8X Deluxe Rev 1.04 and have no complaints with it.

Keep the A7N8X-X, you will probably be a lot happier with it if you plan to overclock.

Al

ACTF_Heat said:
Oh,and I just noticed that the mobo doesnt have that 4-pin power connector on the mobo---just the standard atx power connector

My A7N8X Dlx 1.04 does not have it either. Running a 2500+ Barton at 11x200 with no problems.

Dont need the connector;)

Al

Well,in your opinion,should I return the mobo and get the deluxe version instead? Is it really worth it? I see that the deluxe version is Nforce2-ST,and that the version I just bought is Nforce2-400.I am not sure which one is better,and what the differences are. I really appreciate your help.

ACTF_Heat said:
Well,in your opinion,should I return the mobo and get the deluxe version instead? Is it really worth it? I see that the deluxe version is Nforce2-ST,and that the version I just bought is Nforce2-400.I am not sure which one is better,and what the differences are. I really appreciate your help.

I would say that the main difference between the two is the Deluxe model has Serial ATA support and Soundstorm Audio.

If you dont need either if the two options then keep the A7N8X-X.
You should be able to do good with the CPU and Ram you have presently.

I use SATA and prefer the Soundstorm audio over my Audigy card so I find it worthwhile:).

Al

actf
the deluxe board(nforce2-st) supports sata and has onboard sound (soundstorm) so if you don't need or want those two items you should be good to go.

Let me ask this then:

How much better is the performance with serial ATA vs. IDE connections?

and:

I have an Audigy Gamer....why do you prefer the Soundstorm over your Audigy? I bought the Audigy for the EAX for playing games.Does the Soundstorm have EAX,and I would imagine that the Soundstorm doesnt hinder FPS(frames per second) in games.

Finally---
The mobo that I just bought seems like the only difference in performance compared to the deluxe version is the SATA and on-board sound. These 2 mobos still use the same chipset,though...correct?

So...IYO, is it worth it to spend the extra $40 to get the Deluxe,or not?

ACTF_Heat said:
Let me ask this then:

How much better is the performance with serial ATA vs. IDE connections?

and:

I have an Audigy Gamer....why do you prefer the Soundstorm over your Audigy? I bought the Audigy for the EAX for playing games.Does the Soundstorm have EAX,and I would imagine that the Soundstorm doesnt hinder FPS(frames per second) in games.

Finally---
The mobo that I just bought seems like the only difference in performance compared to the deluxe version is the SATA and on-board sound. These 2 mobos still use the same chipset,though...correct?

I use the Raid Function with the SATA, so I find it faster:)

As for the Soundstorm Audio, there are various threads on this forum that can provide you with a lot of the info you require. Just click on the Search button and use Soundstorm, Audigy and EAX as search words. That should give you a lot of detailed information. I prefer the Soundstorm as it seems to use fewer cpu cycles and the digital connection beats the Audigy's:)

Both Boards are the same, except for the SATA and Audio.

Al

Thanks sooooooo much!!! I am a noob,but with each thread that I read,I learn a little bit more.I appreciate people like yourselves who are so willing to lend your knowledge and experience to help people like me.Thank you so much guys!!!!I only hope that one day I will be able to help someone with less knowledge than myself.Thanks again!!!!

yw!
i have no experience with sata and couldn't afford to get new drives anyway.have a look in storage section regarding that. i use audigy2 and am very happy with that so i passed on the deluxe version.
some people have complained about crackling noise with the soundstorm when they have heat issues. take a look in video/sound section for more info on that.

I didnt know that you had to buy new drives for SATA.I just thought that you could buy a SATA PCI card to use your current IDE drives in a SATA mode.If thats true,I think its only a few dollars for one of these cards---but then again,I am just a noob,so I am probably wrong.

ACTF_Heat said:
I didnt know that you had to buy new drives for SATA.I just thought that you could buy a SATA PCI card to use your current IDE drives in a SATA mode.If thats true,I think its only a few dollars for one of these cards---but then again,I am just a noob,so I am probably wrong.

You have to buy adapters to be able to use IDE Drives with an SATA connector. I used two of them for about 8 months with no problems until I decided to get a couple of true SATA drives. I did it mainly to get the Raid function of the Motherboard:)

Edit *Actually, there was a problem in the beginning, but current releases of the board's bios has long since fixed it, havent had any problems since*

Al

Last edited:
ACTF_Heat said:
Thanks sooooooo much!!! I am a noob,but with each thread that I read,I learn a little bit more.I appreciate people like yourselves who are so willing to lend your knowledge and experience to help people like me.Thank you so much guys!!!!

Your Welcome.;)

ACTF_Heat said:
I only hope that one day I will be able to help someone with less knowledge than myself.Thanks again!!!!

Dont worry, You will! It's all part of the addiction!:D

Al

Last edited:
The main difference between the a7n8x-x and the a7n8x deluxe (in terms of system performance) would be the chipsets; as mentioned the -x runs on a nforce2-400, single-channel DDR chipset and the deluxe rev2 runs on a nforce2 ultra, dual channel DDR chipset.

As for the onboard sound, the soundstorm is a great alternative to an audigy 2 and is fully EAX compatible.

However, the main draw for the deluxe would be the ultra400 chipset with the DCDDR.

good luck.

Well,I have 2 512mb sticks of Corsair XMS ram....will the a7n8x-x work well with that RAM,or should I get the deluxe version and return the a7n8x-x?

Edit*-its pc3200 ram

Back