• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP!!! 600eb won't run at 600mhz anymore!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EvilpopE

I bought a p3 600eb about a year ago. It's running on an abit be6-2 motherboard. When i first got it it was able to run at 650 mhz, but now it won't run stable without lowering the fsb to 128 and underclocking the processor to 581. The wierest thing is i can't even boot with a 133 mhz fsb, it freezes during the loading win2000 screen. Any other setting will boot win2k, but it will freeze shortly after unless i use an fsb of 128 or below. The problem is not my ram or my hd, because i have tried many kinds of ram and hd's. It is also not a heat problem, i even redid the thermal paste to make sure. Anyone know anything about this or what i could do to fix it?

PS. I tried upping the voltage on both the mobo and the slocket, but it didn't help...

for the record, it also is not the operating system, because it freezes in windows98 and windows ME also....

I'm guessing the chip is tired a bit from overclocking!
Probably just give it a little voltage to make it stable again,1.7vcore should do it!
Or try to get warranty for it if you can!

I tried it on 1.7 before...no luck : (

here's some extra info on my system...

Video card: Creative Labs Anihilator 2 (geforce 2 gts) 32 meg flashed with nvidia reference bios
Video Drivers: Nvidia dets...not sure what version....
Hard Drives: 2 10 gig quantam 7200 rpm AV drives combined for disk striping on a promise ata66 raid card

1 wd 10 gig 5400rpm
1 wd 8 gig 5400 rpm
1 maxtor 7200 rpm 15 gig

all these drives are running with win2k's built in raid feature to make them faster :p

my ram is in 2 128 mb sticks, both cas2

sound card is a Diamond Monster Sound mx300 running aureal's latest reference drivers

i just have the default cooling that came with the chip, although i just replaced the thermal paste about a week ago

CDROM: Magic Spin 52x
CDRW: TDK 12x10x32 with burn proof

maybe this information will help with solving this problem?

Hi , Strange problem , did you try flashing your videocard back to it's original bios? The previous post about the chip getting tired after a year i not very likely because the lifespan of a chip is 10 to 15 years when used without any modification , the small overclocking you have can't be the cause of your chip's malfunction. if you don't fin a cause then go get your warranty!! Good luck !

Try clearing your CMOS on that motherboard as well. May not be any problem there but one, small inadvertent change in the BIOS can cause all sorts of problems.

If all else fails and is a retail chip....RMA all the way.

Back