• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

An idea or two from a site newcomer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pred8r

Hello all,
I would first like to say that I have just now signed up to oc-forums and this is my first official post. I have been browsing the forums for the past few weeks and have seen many a person mention using filters and mesh and whatnot to prevent dust from entering precious cpu enclosures, well, I too am one of these people, I got sick of dust and one night I got creative.

Why spend money on filters and/or mesh when anyone who has built their own system has access to a great filter. The grey foam that comes inside the package of every motherboard is perfect. It's is not as restrictive as some of u may be thinking, I cut pieces to size with a razor and added it to all intake holes on my case and was able to keep and ambient case temp of about 29-33*C. And the best part , no dust and no extra money spent. Electrical tape or thin strips of duct tape seem the be the best way to affix it.
Hope this helps out some of the u guys, let me know what u happens.

Thats a neat mod, I always thought that stuff was VERY restrictive. Right now im using a hepa filter in my pc :)

I thought it was restrictive too, so I tested by breathing in and out a few times through a small piece to see if it seemed restrictive, which it didn't, the foam didn't affect temps, but it did kill dust so i was happy

That sounds like it would work well. As Yuriman said, it is mostly likely more restrictive than other solutions - but the price is right!

To somewhat offset the likely restrictiveness (is that really a word?), you should look for ways of increasing the surface area of the foam.

Also, if it is the kind of foam I'm thinking of, it would be easy to clean with water, kind of like a big sponge.

Wow amazing that i got these responses so quickly, btw talking about offseting restrictiveness i just got an idea, if ur worried about it add another fan, or u could do like i did on my old case that didn't have many fan mounts, open up the psu and replace its stock factory crap with something that moves abou 40 cfm or so. I used a 38 cfm blue led fan. Having a glowing psu has turned one or two heads at local lan parties( I didnt replace the fan because of the foam just because i wanted to increase general airflow)

I use similar...Heat register filters. Their like 15 for $3.00 at any home improvement store. Good thinkin';)

And

welcome2.gif

Back