• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats better than a 8500?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
What can I get for around $70 that is better than a 8500? I want only ATI.

$70 is the price of a new radeon 8500. Not much out there for that price. Some may say get the ti4200, but thats under a 5% speed increase, and worse IQ to boot.

what is the IQ of the card? I don't understand that term, its never been explained to me, or have I read it anywhere. A VERY simple explanations please. :)

Maybe I'll get some of those good Ramsinks that I hear about..and a nice heatsink..maybe cut the fins halfway down or something..and a nice fan on it..overclock that core and memory.

thanks.

And yes, I have had the opportunity to play with a GF4MX440. And the image quality was pretty bad, although it was on an LCD, and those arn't even comparable in my book.

My 8500, along with my Flat CRT, it looks very nice, and robust. :D

WHAT?! Quality LCD's usually have BETTER IQ then CRT's unless you have a really nice one or run the LCD's res at a non-native res or the LCD is hooked up using an analog cable. The reason is that the pixels on an LCD can't move, so the picture is always "Square" and when using DVI, the picture on the screen is mapped out pixel by pixel. On a CRT, the vid card kinda says "put that part of the image somewhere over there"and so on. How can the image quality be better on a CRT when there are really only 6 wires controlling the picture? (R,G,B, and their respective grounds. I'm not counting the H-sync and V-sync) Only top-quality CRT's can match the IQ of a quality LCD. If the LCD's cheap, then I can see your point. Cheap LCD's may suffer from ghosting and bland color due to relaxed specs.

Back