• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Virgin OCer questions refresh rate.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joevar

I don't know the first thing about overclocking but I would like to get all I can out of my 9800xtasyPro256 card. Do I correctly assume that the higher the refresh rate the better the picture? If so,I have my 21inch crt moniter set up at 1152x864
by 100Hz and its my understanding that the card can push 200Hz at this setting.But
when I'm setting the refresh rate the highest choice it gives me is 100Hz.however it says it'll do 160Hz in 640x480. So all that said, I'm thinking my monitor is limiting
my ability to achieve the higher refresh rate. What I'm wondering is, am i just totally missing the mark here with all this refresh rate business, if not, is their anything I can do to boost the refresh rate.If I am out their adrift in my thinking what could I be doing to get the most from my card. Thanks,joevar

Refresh rate is the number of times the picture on the screen is physically refreshed every minute. 100hz is pretty dang good...most people are fine at 75 or 85.

Your monitor probably is the limiting factor, and there's really nothing you can do to go above the monitor's limit. If you did manage to (a lot of monitors have a safety override anyway) then you would risk damaging your monitor.

Back