• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair Memory Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bon3thugz43v3r

On my corsair xms it has a black heatspreader and I am curious to know what kind of memory is underneath the heatspreader. The heatspreader is black and my memory is PC3200 CL2 v1.1. I would like to know if i can take off the heatspreader and then put it back on? Will it go back on or is it impossible to get back on? Also, will this void my warranty, even if i get it back on?

first, all discussions I've seen lead to indicate that XMS3500C2v1.1 is BH-5

second, I've removed the black heatspreaders from my corsair XMS3200 and it is actually pretty tricky. The double sided tape they use is VERY sticky. It takes quite a bit of coersion with a screwdrive to get it loose. I personally don't recommend it, as I scratched up the chips a bit with my screwdriver in order to pry the thing off. I also found it slightly easier if I stuck it in the freezer for a few minutes to weaken the bond. I doubt I could even stick them back on if I wanted to replace them because I physically damaged the heatspreaders in the process (alu is soft compared to my screwdriver). Not that I would even want to send them back only to get CH-6 chips in place of the my precious BH-6. Not worth it really.

So if in fact these are BH-5's...Then the reason I cant run past 200 mhz stable with 2-3-3-8 timings is my rev 1.04 asus a7n8x motherboard? I am either going to buy new ram or a new motherboard. If I am getting a new motherboard, I would like to know which DFI board is the best for overclocking. All I need onboard is the lan because I have a soundcard and I do not need sata or raid. Thanks!

EDIT : I noticed you said all PC3500XMS C2 V1.1:( I have PC3200

i really doubt you have bh5, the only corsairs i know that had bh5 are the xms3200LL v 1.1 sticks and xms3500

Correction.

the XMS3200C2 v1.1 use BH-6 ICs. Straight from the source.

I've successfuly run this stick at 225 at 2-2-2-11, single channel. Its a GREAT stick of ram.

Hmm I am wondering if its the board thats holding me back. Also what is a "safe" amount of voltage to put through this ram? The highest my board will go is 2.9.

depends on who you are asking

most (here) would consider 2.9v to be well within safe levels, esp. with BH-6 chips

Corsair recommends a voltage of 2.7, and will warranty up to 2.8. As mentioned before, 2.9 is a fairly safe wattage, though I personally run my sticks at 2.7.

I would think it's your motherboard, or maybe your processor if it's a 133mhz bus chip. Sometimes they don't like high FSBs.

I currently have a stick of Corsair PC3200 CL2 v1.1, and it was Prime95 stable (7 hours) at 230MHz, 2-2-2-11 w/ 3.0v.

Back