• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not satisfied with these UV lights

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FattyMcNastyXK

Bambam's soldier
I got some of these UV Cold Cathods http://www.case-mod.com/store/produ...d=619&osCsid=7a5f63a8c45bb285ad64f210f1890f10 from case-mod.com. I plugged them in. I had UV paint sprayed all on my case. Turned it on, WTF?!? Its kinda UVish but it's leaving me disappointed. Before i got them, i used a real Blacklight to check out my paint job and i was excited to see the paint under the CCFL's. But flop. I got some vanteck UV green case fans and those are spectacular. Maybe its the way i put my lights? I got a chieftech dragon case and i put one on the left side, verticle and one horizontal accross the bottom. I'm thinking of returning those and getting the Sunbeam UV CCFL's from svc for about the same price as i got these other ones and these actually have Sunbeam on them. It's usually about a hit or miss with me and cold cathods.

Yeah. Try just running the black like and not any other lights. It sounds like you are running multiple colors as well. See if that runs things a little brighter.

i just have my two fans that have four UV led's in them which make the fan glow green, but i'll try. I've also been told that they need to warm up. EDIT I'm also trying to find Sunbeam or better UV CCFL tubes for cheap. Its hard to find just tubes. I've already got an inverter, i don't need to buy a kit

How cheap are you looking for? I have checked a few sites and the best price seems to be at SVC (I could be wrong though). They have a single 12" Sunbeam tube w/ inverter for under $4. I know your not looking for a kit but the other places I looked had the same thing for over $8. You could just toss the inverter or sell it in the classifieds.

Is Sunbeam the best?

EDIT: I would rather get the duel. That way, i could take one of the sunbeams and compare it to the one i have right now. If they suck enough, i might send them back but i might cry because i put sleeving on it and i don't have any more.

Thanks for the help

let me know how this turns out im gonna be buying some uv stuff soon, not really sure what to get, but ill guess i find out :p

I have the same problem man. However, I got mine from SVC. And no where on the box does it say Sunbeam, it says "Extreme Gamer" made by "HGE." I was very disapointed when I saw this so I emailed them and I'm waiting for their reply. I also bought the uv reactive ATA wires, and they only glow when the damn uv stick is actually touching them. I'll let you know what they say when they email me back.

i was thinking about purchasing lights from xoxide, but i have yet to get to that

In my case I am using lights from SVC and Performance-Pcs, both claimed sunbeam. They both turned out great. Nice and bright UV. Just be carefull, the wires seem to tweak after too much twisting and can cause faulty connections. So nice lights, cheap wiring.

thats a lot of cathodes, do you have to buy so many of non uv cathodes to get a nicely lit case also?

El-Scotto said:
thats a lot of cathodes, do you have to buy so many of non uv cathodes to get a nicely lit case also?

I dunno, I always use UV, effect is much more pleasing and subtle to the eyes.

The other cathodes are bright as all getout and just look guady to me.

actually no you do not need as many standard colord CCFL's as you do UV...for some reason the UV bulbs produce less light...maybe because it is a dark color....for example 2 blue 12 CCFL lamps was so bright I had to move the case behind the corner of my eye so i could se my monitor correctly...now I have 2 12 CCFL UV bulbs and 1 12 neon UV and it is noticabkle darker than the blues...I think it's a refraction of light thing...the ATA cables above do not clow like crazy unless they get massive amounts of light...I am on a quest to find a better UV source..I am currently waiting on 20 5mm uv LEDs that i have some Ideas for...we shall see gents!

FizzledFiend said:
actually no you do not need as many standard colord CCFL's as you do UV...for some reason the UV bulbs produce less light...maybe because it is a dark color

Actually, UV is not a color at all. UV light is light energy that is below your eye's range of frequencies. Thus, it appears to be black, which is not a color but a lack of color. There are phosphors in the cables and paints that you buy that glow when exposed to this UV light; the more UV, the brighter they glow. Thus in order for a blue UV fan to outshine a blue LED fan, it would require quite a bit of UV light to reflect. But if there are no other light sources drowning out the glow of the phoshpors, then they will show up much better. So, if you want to mix UV components with LED components, you need to use quite a bit of lighting.

Back