• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mushkin lvl2 PC3500... I'm the unlucky one!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JerMe

I just received 2x256MB Mushkin lvl2 PC3500 for my NF7-S/Barton 2600+ 0311.

I know most people don't have problems with matching up two 256MB sticks (rather than purchasing a dual pack), but I wasn't so lucky. I can't get past 171MHz FSB, Vcore=1.75, Vdimm=2.9. My assumption is that these two sticks don't play nice with each other. :(

Alone, one stick can get to 230MHz, and the other to 240MHz before error surface in memtest86 test #5. But in dual channel mode (DIMM2 & DIMM3) they crap out.

Am I doing something wrong? Shouldn't they do at least 200MHz together?

If i remember this correctly...
Change Timings to CL2-3-2-5 and you will be fine for Dual channel i think. ;)

Read this from the memtest86 FAQ:

There have been numerous reports of errors in only tests 5 and 8 on Athlon systems. Often the memory works in a different system or the vendor insists that it is good. In these cases the memory is not necessarily bad but is not able to operate reliably at Athlon speeds. Sometimes more conservative memory timings on the motherboard will correct these errors. In other cases the only option is to replace the memory with better quality, higher speed memory. Don't buy cheap memory and expect it to work with an Athlon! On occasion test 5/8 errors will occur even with name brand memory and a quality motherboard. These errors are legitimate and should be corrected.

It might be true for the bartons also.

I have 2 512 PC3500 Lvl 2 black Mushkin modules - it doesn't fail when I run Memtest overnight. I can run my unlocked Barton 2500 as a 3200 (200X11) but only if I raise my v-core to 1.8v and the memory at 2.9v. I have tried many different timings including recommended 6-2-2-2.0 and 11-2.2.2.0.

I need to try each stick to see how they'l do like you did.

I also expected my Mushkin to overclock at 433 (PC3500) - I'm going to try diff timing and if no luck it time to call Mushkin Tech Support.

Test in DIMMs #2 and #3 as well. Voltage may need to be increased to increase stablity - and get rid of errors in MemTest #5. Temporary mods can be done on a NF7 that won't result in voiding the warrenty - as long as you don't do anything stupid :)

Disabling the onboard USB Controller may reduce the number of errors.

Did you mean test individually in DIMM2? Or dual channel in DIMM2 + DIMM3?

Well, as I was posting the OP, I thought about inserting the sticks in DIMM3 + DIMM1 (even though the manual says to install in DIMM3 + DIMM2 which is what I did initially).

Guess what? I'm running DDR454 with 2-2-2-11, stable after memtest ran 43 cycles last night. POST reports I'm running dual channel.

Maybe if I do more flip-flopping around of the sticks, I can get more FSB, but since one stick only went to 230 I doubt it.

I'm not running D10 so I haven't messed around with the vague CPU multipliers yet, but I'm running that flower bugger of a heatsink so major O/Cing isn't an option right now anyways.

I'm glad I posted this message, otherwise I would have RMA'd the memory.

BTW, how much FSB has anyone been able to milk out of these Mushkin lvl2 PC3500s? Higher than 227 1:1?

how much FSB has anyone been able to milk out of these Mushkin lvl2 PC3500s?

I can get to 237, dual channel, 11-3-2-2 @2.9 vdimm (board max), but no higher - regardless of the timings.

JerMe said:

Well, as I was posting the OP, I thought about inserting the sticks in DIMM3 + DIMM1 (even though the manual says to install in DIMM3 + DIMM2 which is what I did initially).

I was having almost the same problem. With 2.9 vdimm my memory wasn't stable at 175mhz but 2.8 would get me to 207mhz. Once I moved a stick so I had them in DIMMS 1 and 3 it was stable at 207mhz with 2.9 vdimm.

Back