• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

clamps versus bolts (SLK As versus Us)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PingSpike

I'm looking into a new heatsink to use for overclocking. Originally, I was very excited about the bolt on design many new high end sinks use. The clamps can be a pain to put on, I've almost stabbed a motherboard to death doing it, and for the heavy sinks the bolts just seem more secure.

But then I kept hearing about people saying their motherboard were bending really badly under the stress of the bolts. That really *CAN'T* be good for a motherboard IMO, and I would be really off put if they did. I've got a shuttle AN35NU, and I've been thinking about getting one of the SLK sinks but I can't decide if I want to use the bolts or just go with an A version. And pros and cons people have found between the two? Am I overracting to the stress on the MB?

Thx.

If you go to Thermalright's website, they have a motherboard compatability section.

Go there. See if there are any problems with your mobo.

I personally would not feel comfortable having to bend FETS and crap.

Given the weight of the 800's I wanted to use, I went with the "U" version that has a base and bolts that secure the HeatSink very well.

I had the same concerns when I first mounted my Zalman 7000cu, which was the heavyweight king at the time (still may be).
After some thought I solved the problem by getting some nylon spacers the same height as my board standoffs and extending the screws through the board and standoffs and then the motherboard wall.
It made it more time consuming to remove the motherboard, but there was no question of the heatsink bending the board either.

Personally I can't stand the bolts, lining them up is a pain. Clips are easier to put on, and I'm sure the socket can handle the extra weight, just be careful whem moving the case.

wquiles: Did you board bend in response to the stress of the bolts?

clocker2: Thats a good idea, but I plan on dumping this case sometime in the next year.

I think I'm going to end up going with the A version. I doubt thermalright uses crappy clamps, and I'm sure barring any unusual stress they should hold fine. I don't really move my PC much anyway.

bolts are the way to go..no shaking those babies loose...and you really dont want a free roaming hsf going down through your case at any rate...

PingSpike,

No. The way the heatsink is bolted with a back plate does not seem to cause any bending whatsover to the MB. If anything, using the "A" style would surely add more bending to the MB than the "U" style since the "A" are not supported at all by the motherboard, only the socket. I found the "U" installation very solid and reliable.

and you really dont want a free roaming hsf going down through your case at any rate...

One thing to think about is this. Most here have a higher end vid card. Do you want up to 2 pounds of copper bouncing off your $350.00 video card?

Has anyone actually had a heatsink break off? I keep reading posts that say it could happen but never any that actually say it did happen. I have an "a" and it seems very secure to me??

yes i have seen what happens when a heatsink breaks off. My friend bought one of these HEATSINKS and mounted two 80mm tornados on it (it was the hsf i nearly got but didnt for the very reason it didnt mount with bolts). As you can see it just clips on, and thats a lot of weight to have stuck out horizontly. He made the mistake of knocking his pc, and it sheared off, tearing the cpu complete and still in its socket clear off the mobo, and smashed his radeon9700, soundcard and modem clean in half. No lie. It was awfull. Fortunately he could claim on the insurance for the new cpu,mobo,gpu etc...
He learnt his lesson and bought a thermalright 2nd time round

Vrykyl said:
yes i have seen what happens when a heatsink breaks off. My friend bought one of these HEATSINKS and mounted two 80mm tornados on it (it was the hsf i nearly got but didnt for the very reason it didnt mount with bolts). As you can see it just clips on, and thats a lot of weight to have stuck out horizontly. He made the mistake of knocking his pc, and it sheared off, tearing the cpu complete and still in its socket clear off the mobo, and smashed his radeon9700, soundcard and modem clean in half. No lie. It was awfull. Fortunately he could claim on the insurance for the new cpu,mobo,gpu etc...
He learnt his lesson and bought a thermalright 2nd time round

You forgot the punchline:
He got what he paid for - a deep impact :p

that tall thing would have tremendous leverage on your socket. not good. I'd want to brace the other end somehow.

the wesson

Of course, there are reasons to NOT buy a bolt-on. I had one of the first bolt ons (sorry, the name escapes me at the moment, It was all small rods with a shroud that went over it and then the fan) but one day when removing it, one of the standoffs was turning. I used a small pair of needlenose to hold it but I skipped and wiped a resistor off a KK266 m/b. Purely my fault, but I went back to clips for awhile. In fact i have thought long and hard before ordering the SP94, but I did. It just looks too kewl to pass up. I also have been on a sound removal campaign and going to a 30dba fan vs the 39.5dba Mechantronis that is on my AX478 is appealing as well.
I just hope I don't drop it on my foot :) :)

Wow, that deep impact is gigantic! That thing is held on with just clips? Okay, at least it has happened to at least one person. I just had not ever heard of it actually happening before. :)

I wasnt so lucky with my Zalman 7000. Its been on for 4 months. I recently took the board out and the HSF mounting clamps have bent the board badly. Even when i take the 7000 off the bend remains.

Back