• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mozilla? Is it worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
if some pages i use to visit worked nice with mozilla i will use it, not for now :p, thats the main reason i dropped opera too...
but i like mozilla more than opera
for now i use avant browser.

Mozilla Firebird is the best thing that happened to me since Linux. It's worth using.

I was skeptical at first. 'Why replace my IE6? It runs just fine, and does everything I need it to do.' My friend su root turned me onto Firebird. He just kept pestering me about it, so I finally pulled it in, half expecting to turn right back to IE in a few days. One day passed, and it wasn't a bad browser. The built-in popup blocker was nice, and tabbed browsing was a bit of alright.

Two days passed. I moved over my bookmarks w/ relative ease, after expecting a headache about it. I pulled in a few extensions and skins. 'Hey, this ain't half bad!' I said to myself.

By day three, I clicked that Firebird button in my quicklaunch more than IE. By day four, the IE shortcut was gone.

This browser is just too good :D

harryinny3 said:
Ive been reading up on this app, and just wanted to know if its worth useing? Is it Any better than IE in speed? I Know its better in security areas.

Just wondering

Harry

Why dont you just download it and try it for yourself?
I would think that would be a better way than soliciting random people to give you thier opinions.
:rolleyes:

Oni said:
I was skeptical at first. 'Why replace my IE6? It runs just fine, and does everything I need it to do.' My friend su root turned me onto Firebird. He just kept pestering me about it, so I finally pulled it in, half expecting to turn right back to IE in a few days. One day passed, and it wasn't a bad browser. The built-in popup blocker was nice, and tabbed browsing was a bit of alright.

Two days passed. I moved over my bookmarks w/ relative ease, after expecting a headache about it. I pulled in a few extensions and skins. 'Hey, this ain't half bad!' I said to myself.

By day three, I clicked that Firebird button in my quicklaunch more than IE. By day four, the IE shortcut was gone.

This browser is just too good :D
Uh oh... This is sounding like me :eek: I'm on day 5 and have only clicked IE by accident or if a page refuses to run right in Firebird... 1 out of probably 1,000 so far :D

JigPu

re

Mozilla firebird has been my default browser for about 5 or 6 months now. Once in a while a web page won't load but with the "IE veiw" extention you can just right click the link and open the page with IE. Then get back to mozilla for the rest of my browsing.

I can't say enough good about it. "Mouse gestures" extentions rock.

wait they have a mouse gestures plugin for firebird??? Noooo leave my beloved opera alone!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a mouse Gestures plug in for

Firebird
Mozilla
IE
and
Opera :p

Note, I am using firebird for most of my browsing needs

it still has a problem with PHP sessions, and since many sites I go to use them I have to use IE, apart from that Firebird has become my Browser of choice, though I can't and wont knock IE since I still really like it, just Mozilla boots faster then IE does.

side note

Anyone with Firebird get the spellchecker Plug in to work? I have not been able to get it to work, and I really miss my spell checker for forums, iespell for IE was a god sent

itshondo said:
Opera. 'Nuff said.

I hate people who say

"nuff said" especially when it is hardly so,

Opera is not the end all and be all of Browsers,

by entering a topic of discussion and saying Nuff said you are just showing your ignorance and doing nothing to make people want to try the product you think is so grand.

Have you used Firebird? Mozilla?, IE?, myEI? MSN? Or the Plethora of other browsers for you to use the ignorant and pompous term "nuff said"

CrashOveride:
The Spell checker is for Mozilla, I not been able to get the plug in to work for firebird, yet, and I don't have Mozilla on my Windows box to even try it there to make sure it works

I have used them all. I'm not ignorant. You couldn't pay me to use MSN or AOL. All I meant was that I think Opera is the best, period.

'Nuff said.

Well I still don't think that was enough :p

I found opera to be bulky/slow, awkward, buggy, slow and ugly... Why do you like it so much? (it was my favorite for a long time until I tried Firebird). And you said you used MSN and AOL... I am assuming you mean IE and AOL's version of netscape or whatever it is? I don't see firebird on there, or any others - there are a lot more than 4 browsers out there.

Actually, MSN has their own browser. It sucks though :D Only descent feature is links to the side, which is IMMEDIATLY made horrible by the fact you can't get rid of them :rolleyeys:

IE opens faster (and comes up from a minimize faster) than Firebird in my limited experience. It's really annoying at times, but the other features tend to help make up for it.

Also, drop down boxes have the currently selected item at the BOTTOM rather than the top. This annoys me durring forum browsing since I use the 'quick jump' at the bottom of the page to move around, and now I have to scroll down in the box to progress through the fourms. IE always had the current selection at top, so going to General Hardware left Applications right where I could click it :D

JigPu

CrashOveride said:
Well I still don't think that was enough :p

I found opera to be bulky/slow, awkward, buggy, slow and ugly... Why do you like it so much? (it was my favorite for a long time until I tried Firebird). And you said you used MSN and AOL... I am assuming you mean IE and AOL's version of netscape or whatever it is? I don't see firebird on there, or any others - there are a lot more than 4 browsers out there.

um i love opera, and saying 'nuff said is really ignorant/arrogant and gives us opera lovers a bad name plz dont do it... again..

back to the point (last paragraph wanst aimed at you crashoveride). Opera renders the fastest out of any browswer. As far as bulky and slow I know what you mean, when im folding/rendering/playing some mp3's all at once, opera does tend to bogg down, but then again i always have about 15-20 tabs open at once so that is understandable. I fail to see how it is buggy. The worst "bug" i have seen is not rendering CSS correctly in certain instances, and that is it is off by two pixels, whoopy dee doo, it hasnt ruined my inet experaince at all that bug. As far as ugly have you skinned it?? Im using the blue button skin and it is gorgeous!!! Give opera another go you will love it!

itshondo said:
I have used them all. I'm not ignorant. You couldn't pay me to use MSN or AOL. All I meant was that I think Opera is the best, period.

'Nuff said.

ending again, with the word period, another statement of ignorance and arrogance.

to Prove something is the best, with out dispute, and giving the word Period, or the Term "'Nuff said" validity

you then must give criteria to rate all browsers on,

Then show how it beats the other browsers in every category, since it would have to be the best at everything to be the end all and be all of browsers.

This topic is starting to make me want to get all of the free browsers available and run some tests.

Please, everyone,
List off all of the free Browsers you know of, and if possible a download site for them.

Most of the free browsers are available at WebAttack.com. now called Snap Files

http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/freeware.html

In my experience:

IE works great but isn't configurable.

Mozilla /Firebird/Netscape - were buggy with my old system, will have to try with my new one.

Avant Browser, just plain didn't like it.

Same with K-melon, Crazy Browser, Dominica.

Opera seems fastest to me, most configurable and easy to use. Great privacy features and built in pop-up blocker and much more.

Just my opinion........hope you can handle that.

i'm with itshondo on this one .. I tried mozilla, but didn't really like it .. opera works much better for me .. :D .. IE obviously bloated ..

the key to get opera to launch faster is to set the memory usage to 60Mb (highest setting), and set only 20Mb for cache. It's slightly slower than IE when launched, but I rarely close my browser anyway ..

GO OPERA :D

Back