• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mozilla? Is it worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

harryinny3

Ive been reading up on this app, and just wanted to know if its worth useing? Is it Any better than IE in speed? I Know its better in security areas.

Just wondering

Harry

Mozilla Firebird is nice :) I downloaded it 2 days ago to test it out, and after applying a few extensions (mainly ones to enhance tabbed browsing) it's awesome. It may just replace IE :D

JigPu

Last edited:
Thanks Guys

Now ya got me thinking. And the worst part is I dont know Nothing about opensource. Now i have to do A ton of reading on this subject.

If i dont like it, Big IF(prolly will) Just uninstalling it will do the trick? Also Someone mentioned Firebird. Whats the difference between that and the 1.5 mozilla browser?

Thanks for ALL your help, Ya never know I could become a convert.

Harry

Firebird is just a stripped down version, so its just a browser so its faster.

Give it a try... if you dont like it, just uninstall it.

I was using IE for almost almost five years and im telling you mozilla is better in every which way. Just wish the computers at my university would switch to mozilla also.

I use firebird and like it very much, however, I have not seen a difference in speed (in fact IE loads and gets CNN a bit faster under my non-scientific testing). I think that it may be faster on slow connections or on a slow computer, but if the computer and the connection are decent I doubt that there will be much difference in speed. The difference is in the features (like tabbed browsing and the automatic pop-up blocker).

I use Mozilla Firebird by choice on all the computers I have here.....

Occasionally I hit sites that just don't work quite right with it, and I resort to regular Mozilla on the Linux boxes and IE6 on the Win2K machines.

I WOULD use IE5.5 but it is no longer available and I can't find the cd that I have it on. :(

Firebird just feels better to me, even if it has no real advantages.....

I also use Mozilla Firebird, 20040101 Firebird/0.7+ (Oxs G7 SSE optimized).

Quite fast, replaced IE as my default browser, and totally blows it away IMO. Almost no visible disadvantages over IE, and highly recommended.

I use both Firebird and IE,

Firebird is pretty good, I don't like how it handles sessions, I find IE handles them better, but firebird loads just as fast, if not faster on many pages I visit.

really its a toss up, I hate tabbed Browsing, but as long as I remember to open new windows using the quick launch rather then a keyboard short cut its all good.

my suggestion is, try it, worst that can happen is you waisted time downloading it

edit:

this was done using firebird so I did not have my spell checker like I would if using IE sorry for any mistakes

since using Mozilla Firebird, i haven't looked back. loading up IE at school or here at the house is just painful anymore. I use mozilla for about 97% of my daily web browsing and sometimes i can't get windows media player to run links so i have to use IE, but other than that, it's awesome.

no pop ups ever. The built in search engine bar is great (google, ebay, dictionary.com, bunch more).

best part is there is no installer, so if you don't like it, just delete the folder and it's gone. I'm using an optimized build for p4's on my main computer and an optimized athlon xp version on my 2nd pc for when i need it. it's definately faster than IE.

Firebird it cool but Opera is my personal favorite. It renders pages the fastest out of any browser I have ver used. The tabbed browsing is the best feature ever. It only pops up popups that you click on. Plus it has the best zoom level feature ever. It zooms EVERYTHING, even stuff IE couldnt zoom (which isnt suprising). At 1600x1200 this feature is a godsend, specially on pages were they feel 8font will do. It has the best "smart" bar ever. It has links for ebay search, amzaon search, and google search. Plus my most favorite favorites (overclockers forums, imdb, 3dlvr, 3dkingdoms, it places right up there as easy buttons. Plus mouse gesters are the best thing ever made. Just hold down the right mouse button drag the mouse backwards and boom you moved back a page. Hold down and make an L and close the TAB. Hold down right and drag down to open a new tab, or do it on a link to open the link in a new tab. Greatest broswer ever!!!!!!!

Crap, Mozilla and Firebird are based on netscape

IF you visit a website that uses <div id html tags you lose all of the content the div id suports

example
Code:
<div id=Out0>
  <input type="submit" value="links to content" id="Out1" class="Outline" style="cursor: hand"><br>

<div id=Out1d style="display:None">
<p><a href="some website"><h3>some website</h3></a>

<p><a href="website2">website2</a>

<p><a href="website3"> website3</a>
 </div>
<script language="JavaScript">
function clickHandler() {
  var targetId, srcElement, targetElement ;
  el = window.event.srcElement;
  if (el.className == "Outline") {
     targetId = el.id + "d" ;
     targetElement = document.all(targetId) ;
     if (targetElement.style.display == "none") {
        targetElement.style.display = "" ;
        el.src = "" ;
     } else {
        targetElement.style.display = "none" ;
        el.src = "" ;
     }
  }
}
function getonme() {
   el = event.srcElement ;
   if (el.getAttribute("litUp1") != null) {
      el.className = "onme1" ;
   }
   if (el.getAttribute("litUp2") != null) {
      el.className = "onme2" ;
   }
}
function getoffme() {
   el = event.srcElement ;
   if (el.getAttribute("litUp1") != null) {
       el.className = "offme";
   }
   if (el.getAttribute("litUp2") != null) {
       el.className = "offme";
   }
}
document.onclick = clickHandler ;
document.onmouseover = getonme ;
document.onmouseout = getoffme ;
</script>

sorry for the large amount of code, but its a snip out of a site I have made, div can be done with out java,

anyway put that code into an html file
you will see a submit button, in IE the submit button will show 3 links under it after pressing it, in Mozilla, and firebird nothing will show,

I supose Mozilla didn't improve upon netscapes pour suport for DHTML

Actually, Netscape 6+ is based on Mozilla! AOL started and funded the Mozilla Project 4+ years ago to rewrite "Netscape" from the ground up. Netscape took revisions of Mozilla, changed some stuff (like the shop button and some backwards compatibility with NS4) and branded it as NS6-7.

Unfortunately, times have changed and Netscape is dead as a browser. Netscape 7.1 was my default until they canned the Mozilla project. Now Mozilla lives as the Mozilla Foundation.

I use Mozilla Firebird as my main browser. I use IE to view poorly coded pages that Mozilla has problems with since it is less forgiving.

Definitly worth it for many reasons, including tabbed browsing and popup blocking.

drshivas said:
Actually, Netscape 6+ is based on Mozilla! AOL started and funded the Mozilla Project 4+ years ago to rewrite "Netscape" from the ground up. Netscape took revisions of Mozilla, changed some stuff (like the shop button and some backwards compatibility with NS4) and branded it as NS6-7.

Unfortunately, times have changed and Netscape is dead as a browser. Netscape 7.1 was my default until they canned the Mozilla project. Now Mozilla lives as the Mozilla Foundation.

I use Mozilla Firebird as my main browser. I use IE to view poorly coded pages that Mozilla has problems with since it is less forgiving.

Definitly worth it for many reasons, including tabbed browsing and popup blocking.

would pages coded in DHTML be considered Poorly coded??

I use firebird because it feels and looks better than IE, isn't a microsoft product, I never get any popups with it, it has a few great plugins for mouse guestures, tabbs, almost any other plugin you want and I never really have any touble with any web pages and it...

would pages coded in DHTML be considered Poorly coded??

Just because something works in IE doesn't mean it is coded properly.

In fact, Mozilla is more standards compliant than IE. As a professional web developer specializing in the front end, I know this. I have worked with tons of cross browser DHTML code that works in both IE and Mozilla (and NS4 to an extent.) This cross browser code usually sniffs the browser and executes different code if required (read DOM, etc).

Mozilla isn't perfect though, so perhaps your DHTML code is hitting a bug. But equally possible, there might be something in your code that is exploiting an IE loophole or hack that allows common mistakes or non standard code to execute. Or you need to modify your code to access Mozilla's DOM.

A simple illustration of this is IE will fill in missing closing table, tr and td tags for you- and not let you know! This is good if you don't care, but bad if it matters.

EDIT:
If you type "javascript:" (for some reason this forum is seperating javascript:. It should be "javascript" followed by a : ) in the address bar after loading a page that has javascript/DHTML errors, you will get Mozilla's JS and DHTML debugger (which is much more robust than IE's).

I took a look at your code with this, and there is a lot going on. Check it out.

Last edited:
Back