• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is the 5.1 sound used in 4.1 ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

spider_SLO

Registered
I think Im going to buy the Z-560 4.1 speakers

What I want to know.... will the 5.1 sound be used ???

I have a 4.1 soundcard and the Z-560 are 4.1

will the DVD option 5.1 surround work well??? :rolleyes:

I mean - most of the stuff is made for 5.1 speakers... how do the 4.1 speakers handle the 5.1 sound then??? If they do, since i have a 4.1 soundcard?? :(

With a 4.1 speaker setup, the fronts create a "phantom" centre channel, of course it is not as good as the real thing, the z-560's should create the centre channel pretty good.

Having a 4.1 soundcard tho, this might not be able to produce 5.1ish sound in dvd's.

When using 5.1 Surround on a 4.1 card, all that is done is that the center channel info is split between the two fronts, divided evenly I would think.

I personally think that spending dough for cables to a computer speaker setup could be better spent elsewhere, like better speakers or computer components.

Voodoo Rufus said:
I personally think that spending dough for cables to a computer speaker setup could be better spent elsewhere, like better speakers or computer components.

I second that, $30+ monster cables are a gimmick and ripoff perpetuated by ignorance.

4.1 creative card? I thought they went from the basic creative Live to the 5.1 to the audigy? Is this a basic SB Live? if so, you will not be able to play dolby digital/DTS on it, the card doesn't understand the data which is why the Live 5.1s came about.

Voodoo Rufus said:
You can do the DD/DTS decoding in software, which is what most DVD software does by default.

But the sound card still needs to know what to do with more than 4 channels of data. (??)

I thought that PC DVD software asks you what kind of system you have (2ch, 4ch, 5ch, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1) and reduces the surround data accordingly.

Voodoo Rufus said:
I thought that PC DVD software asks you what kind of system you have (2ch, 4ch, 5ch, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1) and reduces the surround data accordingly.

Depends on the software, I believe Powerdvd does... but I see where you're coming from. :)

Back