• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant get my USB to work

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Panzerknacker

Disabled
Hello,

I've tried everything, but my USB just doesnt work. Everytime I plug in a USB device it gives the error message that a USB device has malfuntioned but it isnt recognised by windows. I tried about 4 different devices and I used the USB ports that are directly on the mobo, not the optional bracket. I have SP1 and in the device manager no erros are stated. For my specs check the sig. In my opinion my IRQ list is messed up, many stuff using the same IRQ. I dunno if this may cause the problem but here is the IRQ list:

IRQ%20list.bmp

I hope any of you has a suggestion in how to get my USB to work.

Last edited:
I too have the same problem. Just occured yesterday. Not much info out there for the cause or the fix. Later today I will try reinstalling the first part of winxp and see if that doesnt correct it. If not, it looks like I might have to back up my stuff and do a clean install of the OS. I may also try the system restore feature before I go and wipe my drive clean. Ill let you know the outcome.

Last edited:
I really hope it works for u. Fact is that after I built this computer I did a fresh install of Windows XP pro, and I havent seen my my USB working yet lol. Anyway good luck, I'll keep u up to date about my findings :D

I wrote earlier that this problem may be a windows issue but I have later found out that it is not. I wrote zeros to my hard disk and installed windows and all the updates and still no usb recognition.

:(

I wrote zeros to my drive and installed everything including sp1 and got the same usb not recognized message before and after sp1. I wish would have tried system restore before I wrote zeros but oh well I forgot. As for device manager, everything shows up and works properly. I unstalled them changed the system32 files and driver files associated to the usb but there was one called hccoin.dll that I couldnt find. That one was must be hidden deep because I had the folder options set to see everything. Anyhow, I deleted and uninstalled everything that I could and restarted, letting windows find and replace the missing files and all was good until I plugged in a usb device and same error message. Thats when I deleted the drive. Im not going to buy a pci usb controller just yet, there's still hope.

Panzerknacker, try clearing your cmos. If that doesnt do it try removing the battery. It worked for me. That simple.

I was trying for a lot of FSB the day it happened but my mobo never tripped up so I never had to clear cmos after going back to my stabile clock. That has to be the cause. I think.

Last edited:
sQUiRLy said:
I was trying for a lot of FSB the day it happened

You failed to mention that important piece of information. Radical OCing can really screw things up if you are not careful.

If you are OCing in anyway and you develope a problem, ALWAYS take all setting back to default and reset the bios. A hardware or software problem will still continue and you can troubleshoot from there.

In the three forums I visit, a large percentage of problems I read about are self inflicted. The majority of those are directly related to OCing beyond the systems' abilities or some other radical mod gone wrong.

hm, it didnt work as well beforce I OC'ed but I'll try clearing the cmos and reinserting the battery.

BTW, In device manager I see Standard Enhanced USB to PCI host controller. I thought this has to be Nvidia Nforce USB to PCI host controller or something. I also got 2 Standard OpenHCD USB host controller, and 3 USB Root HUB. BTW am havent installed the bracket with the USB and firewire ports, I am just using the 2 ports directly on the board.

Panzerknacker said:
BTW, In device manager I see Standard Enhanced USB to PCI host controller. I thought this has to be Nvidia Nforce USB to PCI host controller or something. I also got 2 Standard OpenHCD USB host controller, and 3 USB Root HUB. BTW am havent installed the bracket with the USB and firewire ports, I am just using the 2 ports directly on the board.

What you are seeing in device manager is correct. The enhanced is the USB 2.0 controller. Is there any X or ! next to the device listing??
The bracket is immaterial. The ports on the back are USB2.0.
The block that the bracket plugs into is old ver. 1. something.

np, no !'s or X's. I just installed the bracket and hoped it would work but I get the same error when I plug into one of it's ports. I also reset the bios but nothing is working yet. I am using bios 18, maybe I'll try a update.

To bring this thread back, I recently replaced a storage drive with a new one. After using the drive utility to format the drive and such, I rebooted and went into windows. My usb mouse no longer functioned. As it just so happens, I hadn't updated USB to 2.0 drivers until right before I shut down to switch out the drives. Now the USB ports on the back of the motherboard don't work, but anything I plug into the front of the case (the USB I connected from the case to the mobo) does work. I don't have any USB 2.0 devices so I can't test if that would work. Thing is I don't know what caused the problem, changing out the drives (doubtful, since all I did was swap) or installing USB 2.0 drivers.

EDIT: I managed to fix this pretty quickly. In the BIOS:

Integrated peripherals> onchip PCI device> USB keyboard/mouse support via> changed to BIOS = worked for one windows boot but stopped again after a second reboot

Then I went back to the same place in the BIOS and switched to USB 1.1 only and now it works fine. Seems like you can get a semi-fix if your not using USB 2.0.

Last edited:
i also have that problem, i tried ignoring it, but it gets annoying. For some reason when i turn on my pc, my keyboard, nor usb modem recieve power. I unplug the machine, and plug it back in hoping that ir works. it only helps a acouple of times

weird these things. I havent connected the usb ports in front of my case yet, i'll try that right now. Fact is, that on mine none of the ports on the back work, not the ones on the mobo and not the ones on the bracket. Just like u I tried messing around in the bios and setting it to 1.1 only, but that didnt help for me, none of the ports responded. I havent got any USB 2.0 devices so I cannot try them, but the 2.0 ports should be backwards compatible with 1.1 devices. Anyway, I´ll try my case USB ports and if that doesnt work I'll update my bios. What bios is recommended? I now have 18, I want to update to 21 but I heard about problems with the serial ATA bios?

this happen to me on sunday and monday, and yesterday. I installed my keboards drivers and they work fine now. only once i think it failed afterwards. But its ok

Back