• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7 and 2X512 TwinMOS problem!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

radarek

I need help.

I bought my ABIT NF7 two months ago (I never updated BIOS - I never had to :)

Last week I bought new CPU(barton 2500+) and RAM(TwinMOS 2x512 cl 2.5). And problem appears!

System is unstable and shutdown my PC in random time.
At the begining i thopught that CPU is the problem.
I started testing to find the part with mulfunction.

PRIME 95:
1st test (small FFTs - CPU test with no ram test) - everything went well
2nd test (in place large FFTs with some RAM test) - it crashed.

So i thought that RAM is the problem
but I tested this ram on other mainboards and it works perfect

yesterday I've installed some RAM from friend (TWINMOS 2 x 256 cl2.5) - the same type as mine but two tims smaller - and everything is ok.

My question?
did you ever heard about problems with 512 MB RAM on NF7?
What could be wrong?
maybe BIOS update will resolve the problem ?

need help!!!

Boards can be fussy like that sometimes matey, you sure your friends stick are exactly the same ones?

Have you tried each of you ram sticks individually?... just to see if one stick or both are the issue with your board?

And for some reason boards are often picky about Twinmos ram.. Got a varied selection of Twinmos sticks (cheap!) and it's a mix and match to find something that works. Like a shuttel box I assembled. Running a pair of 3200 twin sticks, got corruptions and restarts. But some older 2700 non-twin ran perfectly. This all at 333DDR in dual channel mode..

Maybe try a different brand? Corsair and Geil are names that I would mention..

Ok, I know what was wrong

My PC3200 TwinMOS cl 2.5 did not work with FSB 200MHZ!!!
(maybe its some hardware mulfunction - but both of them are not working on 200MHz (I've tested them separately) -
When I set them to work with FSB = 166 MHz everything works fine.

But what is the point to buy 200 MHz RAM and set it to 166 MHZ? :) I have to buy some faster RAM with cl 2 (GAIL or maybe corsair)

thanks anyway

I have twinmoss pc3200 512mb CL3.It runs fine at 200x11.

Maybe your timings are to tight?

I tried with cl2.5 and cl3 - no difference.

They just don't want to go with 200MHz - lucky for me today I exchange them to Gail cl 2 or TwinMOS Twister cl 2 :)

I had a very similar problem, and posted it here:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=262262

I have an NF7-S 2.0, a 2400xp, and I had two sticks of 512 MB (each) corsair XMS 3200 totaling 1GB. Now the first stick which I still have, I bought a while ago. The second stick which I bought recently, I RMA'd. While I suspect that the RAM was bad (I couldn't get it to hit 200 mhz by itself no matter what timings), it ran a lot faster when it was by itself than when it was in dual channel(190 fsb as opposed to 133). So (thanks to the help of the people who posted in my thread) I also think there was some incompatibility due to the fact that the older one was a much nicer BH-5, and the newer one a CH-5.

Either way I had problems similar to you, and I think its possible that the NF7 is very finicky about things being right in dual channel. Did you run both sticks at their fastest settings when you tested it out on the other motherboards? Did you try just one at a time, and switched slot positions?

How is your new ram working out BTW?

Now I'm very pleased with my new ram. Twisters do the job. I didn't test what is max fsb I can set - I think I'll do this on weekend.

As to NF7 - It works fine - Previous issues with stability ended after changing RAM - so I think that was memory problem.
(My friend tested my previous TwinMOS on Epox with the same diagnosis)

And I tested each of them separatly - non of them want to go on 200 MHz - maybe I bought some fake ram or both of them was damaged (but I don't belive in that king of bad luck :) ) - I dont know.

Too bad you don't have the NF7-S, I just got my replacement for my RMA'd stick. After A LOT of testing and trouble shooting, I was finally able to get both sticks working at 200 FSB, and I somehow was able to up the CPU to 2.3 GHZ after previously not being able to.

Back