Can I mix P3s with different speeds?

I already have two 550 Mhz P3s and I might be able to get two 500 Mhz P3s for free. Can I run these in a 4 processor system?

Heatware Profile
    No, P3s can only go up to 2 processors. You will need Xeon MPs to use more than 4 processors.

Even if a quad P3 board existed, it wouldn't be a good idea because you would have to find an OS that does Asymmetric Multi Processing, and preformance wouldn't be very smooth.
    My Heatware
    OCforums Metal Club member # 665
    OCforums Musicians Club member # 665
    Main/Gaming: i7 920, Noctua U12P-SE, Asrock x58 Extreme, 6GB pc16000 Gskill Pi, Powercolor 7870, 256GB Crucial M500, 160GB Intel 320, Lite-On DVD burner, 600W OCZ modX
    File server: AMD e-350, Asus E35M1-M Pro, 4GB Crucial, OCZ Vertex 3 (OS), 3x Toshiba 1TB RAID 5, 2x 2TB WD Green in RAID 1, Antec 900, Corsair 520HX

Oh, I thought I had seen P4 boards in the past that supported 4 CPUS, but maybe they didn't work with windows.
    Once there was a caterpillar who had commas for legs. Which meant he had to allow a literary pause after each step. The other caterpillars really respected him for it and he came to have quite a commanding presence. Oh, and talk about a philanthropist! He was notorious for giving fresh leaves to those less-fortunate.

P4??? No P4 does have SMP.

I guess you're trying to say P3s. Yes as far as i know P3 has quad board but i've only seen slots type not socket type. In fact, my friends and i are hosting a CS (counterstrike) and web/database on a Dell Quad P/// Xeons Its a blast!!
    My Heatware

Verified paypal

Originally posted by disk11
    No, P3s can only go up to 2 processors. You will need Xeon MPs to use more than 4 processors.

Even if a quad P3 board existed, it wouldn't be a good idea because you would have to find an OS that does Asymmetric Multi Processing, and preformance wouldn't be very smooth.
    Windows 2000 Advanced Sever. Supports 8 cpus, personally tested on a 4 cpu machine.

Heatware Profile
    Yes you are right about up to 8 in SMP, but does it support 2 processors of one speed and 2 of another? I think not.
    My Heatware
    OCforums Metal Club member # 665
    OCforums Musicians Club member # 665
    Main/Gaming: i7 920, Noctua U12P-SE, Asrock x58 Extreme, 6GB pc16000 Gskill Pi, Powercolor 7870, 256GB Crucial M500, 160GB Intel 320, Lite-On DVD burner, 600W OCZ modX
    File server: AMD e-350, Asus E35M1-M Pro, 4GB Crucial, OCZ Vertex 3 (OS), 3x Toshiba 1TB RAID 5, 2x 2TB WD Green in RAID 1, Antec 900, Corsair 520HX

wouldn't the motherboard run all 4 processors at 500 mhz?

10 Year Badge
    only if the chips are unlocked downwords i presume.
    Build a safer web, report abuse!
    78.32.221.104/29

10 Year Badge
    That is true. The ES processors will normally run in mixed frequencies, with one provision. The lower multiplier chip must be installed in the primary processor slot, as the BIOS normally reads this chip to get the processor settings. ES and retail/OEM can be mixed, but the retail/OEM processor need to be in the primary slot as well.