• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I mix P3s with different speeds?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mccoyn

I already have two 550 Mhz P3s and I might be able to get two 500 Mhz P3s for free. Can I run these in a 4 processor system?

No, P3s can only go up to 2 processors. You will need Xeon MPs to use more than 4 processors.

Even if a quad P3 board existed, it wouldn't be a good idea because you would have to find an OS that does Asymmetric Multi Processing, and preformance wouldn't be very smooth.

Oh, I thought I had seen P4 boards in the past that supported 4 CPUS, but maybe they didn't work with windows.

P4??? No P4 does have SMP.

I guess you're trying to say P3s. Yes as far as i know P3 has quad board but i've only seen slots type not socket type. In fact, my friends and i are hosting a CS (counterstrike) and web/database on a Dell Quad P/// Xeons :) Its a blast!!

disk11 said:
No, P3s can only go up to 2 processors. You will need Xeon MPs to use more than 4 processors.

Even if a quad P3 board existed, it wouldn't be a good idea because you would have to find an OS that does Asymmetric Multi Processing, and preformance wouldn't be very smooth.

Windows 2000 Advanced Sever. Supports 8 cpus, personally tested on a 4 cpu machine.

Yes you are right about up to 8 in SMP, but does it support 2 processors of one speed and 2 of another? I think not.

That is true. The ES processors will normally run in mixed frequencies, with one provision. The lower multiplier chip must be installed in the primary processor slot, as the BIOS normally reads this chip to get the processor settings. ES and retail/OEM can be mixed, but the retail/OEM processor need to be in the primary slot as well.

Back