• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is it possible to replace a broken capacitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes is the basic answer but you'd need to be more specific about what capacitor type, it's use, and in what sense it's broken.... more input required ;)

Jarhead7236 said:
can a repair place do it? or is it the end? thanks.

I've had this happen twice now, once it happened in shipping and once when my son knocked a card of my desk. Its not likely you'll find someone to do it for you and its near impossible to get a replacement cap if you've lost the original.

Sorry, but unless you have the original cap in good shape, you're SOL and even if you do getting someone to put it back on won't be easy. The places I called refused the work even though I said it dosen't matter if they fry the card.

The capacitors usually have ratings on them. Make sure that you have the right capacitance and voltage. Use a soldering iron and remove the capacitor. Bring that to radio shack and cross your fingers and wish they have one with the same ratings.

the cap broke off the card...the top right one on an msi ti4400...i'll take a look at it later and post pics. thanks for the replies.

Back