• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New System, Need Help Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eysikal

Registered
Here are the specs of my new system:

Abit NF7-S V. 2.0
Barton 2500+ (unlocked)
2 x 256 Mushkin Blk Lvl 2
74GB WD Raptor
Radeon 9800 Pro

Link to case I plan to get: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...1-125-612&catalog=7&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1

Now what I need is your help on deciding how to cool this puppy. I plan to overclock the CPU and perhaps the card as well. (This is only my second system so I am somewhat of a noob. )

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks;)

I would get either the Thermalright SLK-947U or the SP-97. You will have to sand down one side near the corner of the 947U to make it fit on the NF7-S V2. The SP-97 will fit perfectly. Many will agree that these two are some of the best air cooling currently on the market.

For the fan I would recommend either the Thermaltake TT Smart Fan II, Panaflo 92mm 12U, Any Tornado (with ear protectors) or an adjustable fan.

I went with an SLK947-U for my Motherboard...and I had to mod the base like you were already told. I chose to cut the curner with a hacksaw instead of sanding it...The project went very smoothly, I was very pleased with my work and my temps. Well I will tell you this, my choice of fan was poor because the noise is REALLY REALLY loud. I decided on my fan (92mm tornado) because of the cfm (119)...but WOW, so if u care about noise choose a nice quiet fan. Best of luck to u.

Your case selection may take a little work to get its cooling potential. Are you up to it? The SP-97 is the best choice for your HS IMHO. I use the Panaflo U1A 92mm on the SP-94 HS.Its specs are: 3450rpm @ 68.80cfm /43dBA....This fan is available at www.digi-key.com Enter item# P9760-ND....It has No rpm capabilities or connecter on its wires.Removing the fan grids from your case will greatly increase air flow while reducing noise.My HSF is wired to the PSU via a rheostat.( 20 Ohm / 3watt) from Radio Shack.See sig of rig for temps. THE FANMAN:cool:

PS: do you need case fans too?

Thanks for the help all...

archilochus (or anyone else who would like to repsond) do you think I will be needing case fans? I really don't want a loud computer so I want to cut down on noise as much as possible.

I am also considering upgrading to water cooling sometime, but I have no idea where to even start on that. Will my case hold a water cooling system inside of it??

sp97 is sure nice, but i am lazy and prefer not to take the mobo in and out all the time (i change mobo, cpu a lot) and the fact it's kind of heavy for a heatsink... any other recommandation?

Eysikal ,you will need case fans as the case you chose has none.
Case Fans: N/A
Power Supply: ***No Power Supply***

Good case fans are a nessacery part of air cooling.If your case is cool ,H20 cooling works better too.Your HS can do no better than the air it uses to dissapate the heat from the processor.Case air or a duct, bringing in lower ambient air. THE FANMAN:cool:

Looks like that case supports 5 case fans. 2 front .2 rear .1 right side by HDD cages.:rolleyes:

5 case fans... jebus.. thats a lot of noise buildup even if you use L1A's... I thikn your best best would be to look into a case with bigger fan slots. I have 120 mm fan mounts in my case and being able to run 120 mm fans at 5 volts, and still get the same airflow is like... sooo indespensible. and ofc ourse, if you are going to mad *** oc, a 120 mm will ALWAYS move more air.

some people suggest using the antec slk3700. that case has 120 mm mounts as i have been told and allows for tramendous airflow.
http://www.antec-inc.com/us/pro_details_enclosure.php?ProdID=93703
Im pretty bias about my own case too, super lanboy just because of how well it works for a overclocked box. i had to remove the grills though. but once i did, holy crap.

as for h2o, i dont think you want to jump into that untill your a little more comfortable with things. there is so much that can go wrong with h2o and of course, unless you are pretty shop minded, it can be really expensive too. a good air cooling setup will cost you $100 us, where water could cost a great deal more.

Yea ,I agree with you on that one Valk. A case with 120mm fan support is a must for quieter operation. I just wish they didn't block the intake with the HDD cages. The fan grids will still need to be removed. THE FANMAN:cool:

120mm support is great for quiter operation unless like me you put 190cfm 120mm Delta fans in em, it cools amazing but wails like a banshee.....

well i know with the antec's especially, that those bays arent really that bad for air flow. if you dont put any hard drives in the lower bays, airflow restriction is pretty minimized as the holes in that cage as pretty big. its also possitioned far enough away from the front case fan to allow the air to expand a little bit.
I dont know. the air coming out the back mount feels a little stronger, but really not enough to be concerned.
where the major problem comes in is that antec uses a PAIR of grills in the front. one behind the band to screw it to, and one in the bezel. i had to cut the aluminum out and remove the bezel grill to get uninhibited airflow.

Of course. i would get it better if i were to remove the bay entirely. when i go for water, i will have to to make room for my heatercore, but then there is the dilemma of how to mount your drives. the antec mounts are pretty convenient, you would have to buy a hard drive sled or somthing if you take them out.

I dont know. my chip is only running 2000 mhz. I can get 2500 out of it. but its basicly based on whether i want to hear or not. I could probably even get 2200 mhz out of this silent setup if i wanted to. i think its a personal preference thing.

Back