• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Discussing Possible Moves from AMD Systems to INTEL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
billobob0 said:

Yes, but the fact is, that for programs *optimized* for SMP, such as photoshop, it will outperform the intel sysyem. But for stuff like games that don't utilize a 2nd cpu, having a dually is useless.

I wouldn't say it's useless. You can take advantage of a dual CPU in many ways without specialized software, such as playing a game and ripping a dvd at the same time, distributed computing, etc.

I hate all of the CRAP Ed has to say on the front page about AMD vs Intel. Right now, I'm planning to buy an A64 3400+ when the next speed grade comes out to complement my 4 athlon xp systems, 1 intel system, and 3 apple systems between my mom and my dad's house. I cannot believe I hear people say that a northwood is better than a hammer. I don't think it's true that socket 754's days are numbered and that it's not very good. Even if they were to stop making socket 754 the day after I buy mine, it wouldn't really matter. I mean, how many people buy a new cpu for their aging motherboard? I'm not about to put a new barton in a kt133 motherboard. With their cheap prices, it is just better to buy a new motherboard so you can have 2 systems working instead of 1 for not much additional cost and get much better performance. One thing I can't believe is when I hear people say that prescott will reach 4.2 Ghz overclocked, let alone 4.6. I guess you could do it easilly, if you volt mod your motherboard and buy a $500 phase change cooler.

I hate all of the CRAP Ed has to say on the front page about AMD vs Intel. Right now, I'm planning to buy an A64 3400+ when the next speed grade comes out to complement my 4 athlon xp systems, 1 intel system, and 3 apple systems between my mom and my dad's house. I cannot believe I hear people say that a northwood is better than a hammer. I don't think it's true that socket 754's days are numbered and that it's not very good. Even if they were to stop making socket 754 the day after I buy mine, it wouldn't really matter. I mean, how many people buy a new cpu for their aging motherboard? I'm not about to put a new barton in a kt133 motherboard. With their cheap prices, it is just better to buy a new motherboard so you can have 2 systems working instead of 1 for not much additional cost and get much better performance. One thing I can't believe is when I hear people say that prescott will reach 4.2 Ghz overclocked, let alone 4.6. I guess you could do it easilly, if you volt mod your motherboard and buy a $500 phase change cooler.

The next system I build (in one year) will be a Dualy it'll either have dual optrons or dual something else.

For the Long term the Athlon 64 is better.

For those like me who constantly upgrade their mobo/cpu the P4C is a better choice because you can overclock it RIGHT now to be faster than any A64 chip out on the market. And hyperthreading can be used RIGHT now in a normal windows environment. And by the time 64-bit applications ARE common and out, you would of upgraded to 64 bit by then :)

But see unlike you I was talking about a P4 2.8C vs an athlon 64 3000+

The 2.8C can overclock to be faster than the Athlon 64 EVEN in 64 bit mode that's overclocked :) And it's cheaper (for me anyways)

That's what my own PERSONAL benchmarks have shown. These are middle of the road cpus, not the top end.

I buy middle of the road because I like to upgrade alot :) No use buying top end stuff when you'll be upgrading in a year or so :)

Last edited:
just switched to intel.....

1.What type of system do you have now?
a) p4 3.0 ghz, a new 2.8 on the way, will oc to ~ 3.7
9800 pro, 1 gb pc 3200 hyperx(2x512) Is7, ww water coolin
2.How much do you normally spend on a CPU/Mobo upgrade?
a)~300
3.What do you believe will be your next platform and when?
a)dothan(I think thats how u spell it) or the .09 nm athlon fx
4.How much are you willing to pay for an x86-64 Amd Chip and what type?
a) 200, dosn't hafta be the top chip, just no cripple
5.Have the late business trends from AMD changed your views of the company?
a) they're trying to make money, like every company has to, but they're forgetting where they came from
6.If INTEL comes out with a 64bit desktop chip, how would that affect any descision you make?
a) depends, compatability, 'n if they rob amd of it's spark by forcing it's x86 coding out of the loop
7.Does Prescott look tempting to you if it holds a lower pricetag than an AMD solution?
a) nope, don't like heat problems that 'n the perfomance increase will not be worth it.
8.How would you feel about the previousquestion if they were consistently hitting 4.2-4.6ghz?
a) depends on what the benchmarks say, and I don't like worlds of what if's
9.How do you feel about AMD making only one unlocked chip (FX51) and expecting overclockers to buy it?
a) they forgot where they came from......and who made them who they are
10.Do you expect AMD's pricing stategy to suceed?
a) in the long run, yes, if they survive to see the long run....

a) Nothing, my old system was disected into recycled parts for a 3rd pc. But I have a Radeon9700 Pro 500GB HD space 8XDVDRW 16XDVD

a)~600 Canadian
a)Dualy AMD 64 or Dualy Intel (if they make a good 32/64 chip) In about a year to a year in a half, more likey in a year in a half
a) Depends...
a) Nope, they've remained the same
6.If INTEL comes out with a 64bit desktop chip, how would that affect any descision you make?
a) We'll have to see when that comes out
7.Does Prescott look tempting to you if it holds a lower pricetag than an AMD solution?
a) prescott looks really good, it has LOW heat (unlike previous rumours) however with longer pipelines, it may do less work per clock than the current ones
8.How would you feel about the previousquestion if they were consistently hitting 4.2-4.6ghz?
a) it's more than speeds, I would have to do my own personal benchmarks before I decide
9.How do you feel about AMD making only one unlocked chip (FX51) and expecting overclockers to buy it?
a) they forgot where they came from......and who made them who they are (I agree)
a) I hope it works, because if it doesn't then intel will just dominate the CPU market and that would be bad for us consumers. Really the more competition the better for us consumers.

Athlon XP3000+ on Asus A7N8X Deluxe 2.0, 1G PC-3200, GeForceFX 5600...
2.How much do you normally spend on a CPU/Mobo upgrade? Depends. I'd be willing to pay about $500 for a new CPU/mobo total if it were something really innovative...like, for instance, an Athlon.
Probably going to build an Athlon64 but that's some time off.
I'd be willing to pay up to $300. I would let prices fall first. Don't want an FX, the 3400+ looks nice.
They haven't.
Yes, I'd buy the AMD anyway, because Intel would inflate the clock rate ridiculously high.
NO.
Comment declined.
Sounds like something of a slightly bad business move, but AMD moves in mysterious ways.
Yes.

Fushyuguru said:

abit nf-7 with a [email protected]
asus p3b-f with a celeron 300@450 (passively cooled)

Probably an A64, but I'm not sure yet. Waiting to see what new motherboards are like.

hardly more then 200-250€

I don't understand?

Atleast it would make me more certain to go 64bit...

Not really. To get prescott to be tempting it would have to overclock like mad. (then it could though)

You seem to be misinformed. All the A64 processors are unlocked downwards, and the fx is also unlocked upwards. I think most overclockers want to change the multi downwards, unless they have extreme cooling. I have ram that can do very high fsb's, and use aircooling, so I'm delighted to see amd left the chance for me to lower the multi.

Seems to be working fine. The thing they really need is a really stable but fast chipset. (Dreams of the bx chipset)

I don't see what people can lose from getting a 64bit compatible processor now. If it's performing well in 32bit applications, there is really nothing to lose by getting it. I don't really care if all mainstream applications even become 64bit, the ones that really need the power will. (photoshop, cubase ect.)

Look at my sig for my current system. Both are AMD systems. How much would I pay to upgrade? Currently, $10. I just upgraded a few months ago. I won't for a year or so now. But when the time comes, it depends on the prices of hardware at the time. I'll pay for the cheapest known performers.

As for if I'll switch. I already said what will decide it. I'll pay for the cheapest known performers. If nVidia would get into the processor market, and have the best bang for the buck, I'll go nVidia, and tell AMD and Intel to take a hike. If its Intel thats the best value, too bad, AMD.

Companies don't care about you. There isn't any reason to be loyal to any of them. We've only been using AMDs here since the K6-2 because they have been a lot cheaper than Intel systems, and perform good enough for our needs.

1. See sig

2. Roughly $160

3. Either S939 A64 or Tejas

4. I would say no more than $250 (thats a stretch even)

5. Somewhat. After reading into what AMD is doing, I must say that I am worried about the future. They seem to be acting in a confused manner when it comes to launching products, and I just dont seem pulling out of the debt they are currently in the way they are going.

6. It really wouldn't. At this point, 64-bit isn't really doing anything for the home desktop system. MS hasn't released their 64-bit OS yet, and there is barely any 64-bit software to go with it at this point. Maybe in the distant future, but not at this point.

7. It does look somewhat tempting. However, Prescott is only a stepping stone towards Tejas, and by the time Tejas comes out, PCI Express, DDR2, and maybe even the BTX form factor will be more in use. Those are what I am thinking about right now.

8. If they are cheaper than an AMD soution, and they are LGA775 chips, then it would look very tempting.

9. It's fine with me. To me, I dont understand why everyone is whining so much about AMD locking their multipliers. I mean, look at Intel, they have been doing it for years. I dont hear anyone whining about that anymore. If the AMD's can do some successful FSB overclocking, then I guess the multis wont even matter anymore (This comes from an owner of a locked Barton BTW)

10. Doubtful. AMD is gonna need to charge less than Intel if it wants coustomers. It's not that I think AMD should charge $50 for a CPU (which they shouldnt), but if a person sees an Intel and an AMD at the same price, they are gonna go with the name they know better. Thats why I think it will ultimately fail

by Mr. Ramond,

As far as the 32bit world AMD is still bang for the buck for overclockers .

2500+ $92 - newegg
Asus A7N8X - $119 - newegg
$211 !

How about,

1.8a $112 @ star micro shipped
Abit IS7-E $80 @ ewiz.com

1.8a page http://www.pricewatch.com/1/3/4392-1.htm
Abit IS7 page http://www.pricewatch.com/1/2/5811-2.htm

That comes to $192. I bought a 1.8a @ christmas time for my pops and it did 3.3GHz on default voltages.

3.3.gif

It was a D1 stepping masked as a C1 on the box.

How about this.

1800+ OEM $52 - newegg
Abit NF7-S V2.0 $99.99 - newegg
Random HSF $20 - newegg

$171.99, plus IEEE1394, free shipping, and from the same store. Also, a 2500+ instead of 1800+ will make it the same price as the 1.8 P4 and IS7-E. I chose the 1800+ because (even if its not accurate) people compare AMD's performance rating to an Intel with that many mhz.

Of course, this game of price matching can go on forever. It's frivolous to even try it. At this point, using the (not nessesarily accurate, but widely used) comparison of performance rating (AMD) vs mhz(Intel,) AMD will be cheaper. One party can always claim its cheaper to go with the other, but one party will be sneaking in a slower (aka cheaper) processor to make prices match.

Last edited:
Quite frankly, the prices I see on the AMD CPU's vs Intel CPU's are about comparable stock for stock... I really don't see what the fuss is about, whenever a new top of the line is established the prices are ridiculous.

People who say I need them to offer 1Mb cache... well it has shown that the AMD processors benefit a whole lot less from cache than an Intel System.

People complain that the A64 systems are not overclocking very well... we're comparing a brand new architecture to one that Intel has been using for 3 years... of course they're not gonna overclock well.

Why is it such a big deal that multipliers are locked? Intel has been doing it for somewhere around 7 years.

If AMD is going to get out of debt they better well start selling CPU's for an actual profit. People look at AMD and say why are they being so stupid in the market... like that person knows anything about economics in the first place... hell there's probably 100 experts in the field working on the economic side of AMD's practices... Most investors don't know jack **** about business.

I am an AMD user and I see nothing wrong with it, they make a no-nonsense chip that makes a lot of sense to me. Intel just pumps out Raw MHz and tries to overpower logic with it. Each chip has it's specialty.

I for one will be buying an AMD system next, and I'm not going to switch over because chips that are not on the market yet have been priced at intel prices... I am a consumer that understands how technology gets a little old and prices drop.

How about this.

1800+ OEM $52 - newegg
Abit NF7-S V2.0 $99.99 - newegg
Random HSF $20 - newegg

$171.99, plus IEEE1394, free shipping, and from the same store. Also, a 2500+ instead of 1800+ will make it the same price as the 1.8 P4 and IS7-E. I chose the 1800+ because (even if its not accurate) people compare AMD's performance rating to an Intel with that many mhz.

Of course, this game of price matching can go on forever. It's frivolous to even try it. At this point, using the (not nessesarily accurate, but widely used) comparison of performance rating (AMD) vs mhz(Intel,) AMD will be cheaper. One party can always claim its cheaper to go with the other, but one party will be sneaking in a slower (aka cheaper) processor to make prices match.

[/B]

Price vs. performence though they will be so close it is really preference over anything. The 1.8a OC'd will most likely though out perform the 1800+ OC'd.

ol' man said:

Price vs. performence though they will be so close it is really preference over anything. The 1.8a OC'd will most likely though out perform the 1800+ OC'd.

Please stay on topic. Not trying to Nazi the thread, but just keep the responses on track. Thanks.

a) asus a7n8x rev 2 amd 2500+

a)150 $

a)p4 3200 ghz with asus bord
a) Depends

a) yes

a) no

a) prescott looks good

a) this great speed no more need to overclock ;) (not sure:) )
a) this is *****
a) yes i thinks this work for the moment

1-Unlocked Barton 2500 and an NF7-S rev2
2-300 canadian
3-1 year 6 months 2 weeks and 4 days from now
4-300 canadian.. dual channel with 1 meg of cache
5-Yes, that they will bone people without telling them.
6-if it is compareable preformance(not itanium style 64bit) and
cheaper ill get it
7-no its a hot mofo
8-mabey
9-sucks
10-no

Back