• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

when will PCI-X be availeble?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaRky4YoU

When will it be availeble you think, and when will it be affordable??

im guesisng 3 months availeble 5 months affordable?

thx, jeffrey

DaRky4YoU said:
When will it be availeble you think, and when will it be affordable??

im guesisng 3 months availeble 5 months affordable?

thx, jeffrey

PCI-X has been out a long time if I'm not mistaken

Totaly different then PCI-Express

Re: Re: when will PCI-X be availeble?

Evnas said:

PCI-X has been out a long time if I'm not mistaken

Totaly different then PCI-Express
You are correct.

PCI-X is based on the regular parallel PCI bus that we run now. Regular PCI is 32bit, 33mhz. PCI-X allows increasing the width to 64 bits and the speed to 66 or 100mhz. PCI-X is backwards compatible.

PCI-express is a new serial bus. It can run at 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, and 32x speeds. Get ready to throw out all your existing PCI cards.

- JW

DaRky4YoU said:
k so when will it be availeble . . . .

Its out when its out...other then that nobody can say. All we have are guesses. Some new technology never makes it to market. Some does, but fails horribly (like RDRAM for example). Some comes a year or two later then people thought. Until its actually on shelves, we will never really know.

DaRky4YoU said:
k so when will it be availeble . . . .
PCI express will debut with the new intel Grantsdale i915 and Alderwood i925 chipsets, which are to replace the current Springdale i865 and Canterwood i875. They are supposed to be released in Q2 2004.

- JW

Back