• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building my first comp, think this will work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok, thanks to all of you for pointing me in the right direction
Here's the FINAL wish list that I'm going to order in 2 weeks

Abit NF7 77.99
Athlon XP 2500+ Barton 91.00
Kingston HyperX 256mb PC3200 x2 152.00
Antec SS SLK1600 w/ 300w smart power 63.20 s/h included
Western Digital WD400JB 62.50
Use my Acer 19" monitor Free
Logitech X-220 2.1 44.00 s/h included
Sony 52x24x52 CD-RW 36.99
Artec 16x DVD-Rom 32.49
Alps 3.5 Floppy 10.99 s/h included
Microsoft Multimedia Keboard and optical mouse 28.00
Thermalright SLK900A 35.99
Antec 80mm Smartcool 1 for heatsink 1 for case 36.00
PowerColor Radeon 9600PRO 256mb 159.00

My monitor is 4 years old but it still works so I might as well use that cash to drop on a new vid card. :p

Looks great. I'm glad to see the new video card. All my friends at school keep buying the FX5200 and are all unhappy about it. I keep telling them that it's a dx8 card in dx9 clothes but they keep buying.

Are you getting the Abit NF7-S or the Abit NF7?

the NF7-s has sata, IEEE 1397(Sp?) and and better audio on board. Storm something. If you have the $$$ go for it. But from what i heard they oC the same.

NF7 will do then since I'm not running a 5.1 sound system. I don't need sata or IEEE either so I might as well save 20 dollars with this board.

Also even though BH-5 chips are highly praised I'm thinking about getting this dual set instead. It's CH-5 but has some very nice reviews at newegg.
Mushkin 256mbx2 PC-3500 Level 2 dual pack $178.00

Ah, one more thing. Will the 300w smartpower Antec PSU be enough power?

congrats for your first star.

now for that you should ask Larva, he usually hangs around at the case and PSU section. But im pretty sure it will.

The 300W is a bit small. It would run but if you overclock you may run into problems. I wouldn't go lower than 350 and higher is better.

PSU problem solved. Going to buy the Antec SLK3700AMB w/ 350w smart power. Slightly more than the case I was going to get but I won't be sorry I'm sure.

The anticipation of building this computer is going to drive me insane if I don't get my tax refund soon. I can't stop searching for better parts no matter how hard I try to. When I wake up the first thing on my mind is this computer! I'm sure all of you have been there and know what I'm going through. I'm 30 yrs old and I feel like a kid in a high-tech candy store!!

Decided to get the PowerColor Radeon 9700 Pro 128mb.

total now is $910.95

Is this about as good as it gets for that amount of money?

usually depends on you, you can go build a whole new system. But try to accomodote the system to what you are going to do.
if gamming go with it, but it is going to be for work, i think its a bit too much. but since ur doing gamming. go for it.

Back