• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP Pro Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

altec

polka dot ninja
Hey guys, I seem to have run into a pretty debilitating problem. For the past three days or so when my computer was shut down, restarted, or whatever, when I tried to boot up, it would take me to the screen where it says that windows was shut down due to hardware or software problems. When I chose to boot into and type of safe mode, "Last known good configuration, or to start Windows normally, it would simply restart and do this cycle eternally. I figured out that if I shut it down for a good hour or so though it would boot fine afterwards.

Well today the computer was shut down accidentally by my little brother. He was playing around on the internet, and he kicked the button on my surge protector, and turned everything off. I tried to boot, but the same problem as before. So I turned off the power to the power supply and waited a good hour or two, tried again....same cycle. I have been doing this since 3 this afternoon and no sucess.

I finally said "well crap, I may just have to format and re-install windows". So I went into the BIOS and switched the boot order to boot from my XP home disc, since the XP Pro disc is messed up. The computer would not boot from either CD-ROM. So, I went back into the BIOS and made every "boot from" option CD-ROM. Got a "Please insert system disc and press enter error" no matter which CD-ROM I put the CD into....I know it's a bootable CD since I have used it before. Next try was using all different IDE cables.....still no go.

I am at a loss as to what to do. Could the surge protector sudden shut down have done any damage? Is there any way to recover the data on the HD? Could it possibly be something with the PCI bus on the board? I cannot figure out a solution....I seriously need some help. :mad:

Disconnect the cdrom drive ide cable, see if it boots from the harddrive (assuming you haven't already formatted it).

The constant reboots for Windows XP?

3/4 people I talked to about Windows problems had this happen to them. I have minor probs every other week. Major ones like the reboot problem every couple of months or so. When the reboot problem happened to me once, I solved it the same whay I solve every Windows problem, in two minutes:

http://www.ocforums.com/vb/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=214369

If this is a hardware problem, you know the drill. CPU, one stick of RAM, everything else out, then add pieces of hardware one by one.

You wish to save your hard drive info? Installing Windows on another partition or HD then accessing the other HD from it.

Anyway, PM me your email address Altec.

Download & delete the first attachment from your email box, so I can send you another one Altec.

So we're dealing with a now empty WD drive, right?

As suggested get rid of every card and all RAM sticks but one. No overclocking, bare system without any drives.

Memtest86 the RAM sticks, one by one. Be sure all the jumpers are in correctly. Be sure IDE cables are all OK on the drives.

Since the HD is empty, nuke it from a Bootup floppy.
format c:

I use Partition Magic to partition my Hard drive into C: (I use 6 GB but you choose)
D: (I use 5 GB for this one)
E: (the rest of it.)

Install Windows 98 or Me on D first, then XP on C thereby allowing for automatic dual boot system.

This way you can restore C drive from 98/Me or D drive from within XP in a couple of minutes.

Install all large apps on E drive. Also keep Drive Image files of C & D drives on a folder in E drive. Use Low Compression level in Drive Image options.

Be sure all the cards are seated correctly when you add the one by one.

How should I go about installing Windows correctly you ask?

Everyone has their own methods.

Here are mine:

http://www.ocforums.com/vb/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=263554
and
http://www.ocforums.com/vb/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=263553

I was able to backup to (2) DVD-R my last ghosting... haven't tested it (laptop image, not easy to reinstall if needed)... hope I never have to...

Back