• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Pretty well done. Just wanted to say you should tell people that you should only overclock if you can afford to replace it or the down time that might go along with it. I mean changing BIOS options in the wrong way can screw a system up a for a while, and if it's a mission critical machine that's lost money.

Definitely some good info and fun to read. Seemed like you stopped too soon though. Maybe you should mention testing for stability, monitoring voltage and temps, PCI dividers and locking the PCI bus on Intel systems, RAM timings, plus maybe benchmarking programs?

Another software O/C program is clockgen. CPU-Z is a good program to check the FSB, CPU clock speed (and other CPU info), RAM info, and motherboard info.

I'll ask a mod to consider making this a sticky. You might need to modify a couple words (perhaps change it to kick@zz and smart@zzes or something like that since it's a family website).

Good guide, Just one or two questions from a newbie. Just how much can I push my fsb/pci clock? right now I'm at 107/36mhz. this is old pc133 sdram, Is the 36 mhz pci too much for my other components, Sound card, HD etc? and If I unlock my duron, How will it know what my multiplier will be?, or will I have to clear cmos?

i find it wierd that pcxxxx is based off of taking the ratio speed ram and multiplying it.

200 * 16 = 3200
250 * 16 = 4000
275 * 16 = 4400

the odd ones like pc2100, 2700, 3500, 3700 are a little off from what ppl are used to but it's how it works. anyone know why?

nice 1 m8, should help out the first time overclockers ALOT (this thread and a few others was were i 1st found out how 2 overclcok) :p good job

thanx for all this info

I was skeptical at first about overclocking but after reading these articles and applying the knowledge wrote in these forums.

I have achieved an overclocked machine.

to my suprize my first run was at 2.6g from a p4 2.4b chip now i have updated all my coolers and run at a respected 3.366gs

CPU-Z Report

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU-Z version 1.21.

CPU(s)
Number of CPUs 1

Code Name Northwood
Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
Family / Model / Stepping F 2 7
Extended Family / Model 0 0
Brand ID 9
Package mPGA-478
Core Stepping C1
Technology 0.13 µ
Supported Instructions Sets MMX, SSE, SSE2
CPU Clock Speed 3371.9 MHz
Clock multiplier x 18.0
Front Side Bus Frequency 187.3 MHz
Bus Speed 749.3 MHz
L1 Data Cache 8 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L1 Trace Cache 12 Kµops, 8-way set associative
L2 Cache 512 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Speed 3371.9 MHz (Full)
L2 Location On Chip
L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
L2 Bus Width 256 bits

Mainboard and chipset
Motherboard manufacturer http://www.abit.com.tw/
Motherboard model IS7/IS7-G/IS7-E(Intel i865-ICH5), 1.0
BIOS vendor Phoenix Technologies, LTD
BIOS revision 6.00 PG
BIOS release date 11/04/2003
Chipset Intel i865P/PE/G/i848P rev. A2
Southbridge Intel 82801EB (ICH5) rev. A2
Sensor chip Winbond W83627HF
FSB Select 800 MHz
Performance Mode disabled

AGP Status enabled, rev. 3.0
AGP Data Transfert Rate 4x
AGP Side Band Addressing supported, not enabled
AGP Aperture Size 128 MBytes

Memory
DRAM Type DDR-SDRAM
DRAM Size 1024 MBytes
DRAM Frequency 187.3 MHz
FSB:DRAM 1:1
CAS# Latency 2.5 clocks
RAS# to CAS# 3 clocks
RAS# Precharge 3 clocks
Cycle Time (TRAS) 8 clocks
# of memory modules 2
Module 0 DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes
Module 1 DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes

Software
Windows version Microsoft Windows XP Workstation Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)

I would like to find out more about tweaking my os too.
also would like to upgrade vid card or tweaking software?
running a chaintec mx440 at 4spd agp

thanx to all of you
from Randy

Back