• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2400+ o/c any help welcome

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

russm

I have a asus a7n8x, tbred 2400+, kingston pc3200 2x256mb, 550watt ps, thermaltake volcano 11+ with arctic silver thermal paste. i have been experimenting with some overclocking on this setup, and have had perfect stability at 2600+ and 2700+.

i would like to run this cpu at 2800+. but i havnet found the right combo to keep it stable, does anyone have experience with this mobo and or cpu? and also if anyone knows if its possible to run more then 2800+ on the type of cooling i have. i would also like to keep my fan under 3000 rpm's. when i had the cpu at 2700+ core temp was 108f.

Have you raised the cpu voltage? You should be safe up to 1.9v or so if you temps don't go over 55C or so. Are you raising the multiplier or the fsb? Increasing the fsb is the way to go, but it gets complicated with memory timings and ram voltage. Once you get the hang of it you might get much higher than 2800+. I had my 2400+ running at over 2400mhz...

yes i had the cpu voltage at 1.75v (actual 1.79v) and i wanted to get more opinions before i went any higher. i had my fsb at 133 and a multiplier of 17. which got me 2250mhz, but did not run stable, it would restart about halfway through a benchmark. so if i can bring that voltage up to 1.9 i should be able to get it over 2300mhz.

what was also holding me back. my bios was telling me my cpu core was 60-65c... dangerously high, but the heatsink was cool to the touch, and the asus probe in windows said it was 35-40c.. which is nice and cool. so i asked around a few places, people said there bios have been off by up to 10c.. but mine is off by almost 30c... any thoughts on this?

hmm. I'd think that those two utilities get the temp from a different sensor. But, if the heatsink is cool to the touch I might think that there isn't good contact with the cpu. I'm not really familiar with the performance of you heatsink, but I'm pretty sure it should be able to keep the temps well beloe 60C @ 1.75V. If that temp is correct, that is what is keeping down your oc. Lower the temps and you should be good to go.

they get the temp from the same sensor.. but its how they interperate the voltage coming from the sensor is the reading they give you for the temp. and the heatsink is very firm onto the cpu with arctic silver thermal paste. which at idle it can get down to 95f, which should feel cool to teh touch.
what ive been hoping for is to try to keep up with my friends 2.8 800fsb.. cpu tests havent been able to keep up so far, but some 3d benchmarking i can out do him. he uses the ati 9700 pro, while i use the 5900 non pro.. also overclocked. 500mhz core 975mem

Why dont you try to up the bus speed over 400? That will certanly keep up with an Intel. If that dosnt work try the Pin-mod. It is a very effective way to raise the FSB with no dangerous side-effects.

Here's a link to the guide:
http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html

Ive personally used this mod to gain 212 (424) On a VIA chipset, which is unheard of for a lowly 1800XP+, since Via dosnt lock the PCI bus. What the pinmod does is confuse you CPU to think that it nativly run at 200 (400FSB) when in actuallaty it runs @ 133 (266). I havent seen any problems to speak of. I feel it is perfectally safe to use for everyday purposes.

I personally use the wire plug method. Its a little crude but it works:D . Raising the bus to 400 will be right up there with an Intel (seeing that I whoop the crap outta my friend's 3.0c with HT)

Now, a word of caution. This affects your core clock and speed. You wont be with the little boys with 133 core and a high multiplier. Be sure you dont set your multi to like 13. 13 x 200 = 2600mgz:eek: . That would make a hellova lot of beeps tryin to boot @ that. Set your multi to somethin like 11 or 10.5, so its 2.1ghz not 2.6:D

i have my 2400+ @ 2700+ and vcore about 1.7 volt i have try to make it a 2800+ yet but i think the and of this cpu is 333mhz and also de bartons hads 512 k cache and the troubored has only 256 k cache and i think your windows wil not alow that combination of settings but i am glad with my 2700+ now

i dont think ill be doing any chipmods... :( but i can set the fsb up to 200mhz so i can hit that 400mhz bus, i even bought the pc3200 just so i wouldnt have to o/c the ram. so yeah im gonna give that a shot. thanks for the replys guys, if anyone has anything else to add it would be much appreiciated

Back