• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Winter Hazard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mata2974

I was just lucky when my second loop cooling my HD, chipset and GPU frooze:eek: !!!It was my stupid mistake I forgot to add some antifreeze. I was not suspecting anything when the computer just
started to freeze immediately at startup. At first I thought it was my
memory, apparently the water leaked as tiny dropsl, because the hose
just melted and sealed itself up. Here are some photos. Thats a
9800Pro right there, it works though. Watch out for winter!!!!!!!!!!!!

mess_1.jpg

howd it happen? where was your case? i was worried my water would freeze when i was transporting it to school, but it didn't

howd it happen? where was your case? i was worried my water would freeze when i was transporting it to school, but it didn't
I was working inside my garage last nite, with the case open and it was so cold the whole line froze, obviously I did not notice this, the GPU got so hot and melted the hose.............

oh wow.. i was trying to make sure i was reading right when you said your water FROZE.. i was like HUH???? but now i see.. in garage...

Man your lucky... very lucky... amazing how the card still works even when it was hot enough to melt off the tubing...

Gpu's can withstand pretty high temps. My stepdad's geforcemx 400 is a little overclocked and runs without a heatsink in a poorly ventilated compaq case.

Quailane said:
Gpu's can withstand pretty high temps. My stepdad's geforcemx 400 is a little overclocked and runs without a heatsink in a poorly ventilated compaq case.

The leaking water can be a different story, however. :)

So the loop had been ripped open when it froze?

LOL....this sorta thing only happens to an overclocker. it would be like somone blowing up their house becase their Propane refridgerant malfuntioned and caught fire.

i never even thought about putting antifreeze in my comp, i dont take it anywhere where it might freeze, and my froom nver gets below 10c or so

LOL, normally the use of Anti-freeze is actually for its anti-corrosive properties. I dont think I have heard of anyone truly needing it who wasnt using some monster chiller type setup to actually stop the water from freezing.

On the flip side you should really be able to get some monster over-clocks in your garage during winter with only air cooling ;)

Take it out to the garage, and as soon as you get there, turn it on so it doesn't feeze the water. I bet it'll get nice and cool, though. :D

Back