• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If you water-cool, VOTE!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

If you water-cool, VOTE

• 25/75% antifreeze(or equivalent)/distilled water

Votes: 118 12.3%
  • 10/90% antifreeze(or equivalent)/distilled water

Votes: 255 26.6%
  • 5/95% antifreeze(or equivalent)/distilled water

Votes: 77 8.0%
  • Zerex super protector(or equivalent) @ manufacturers recommended concentration.

Votes: 64 6.7%
  • 10/90% Zerex super protector(or equivalent)/distilled water

Votes: 59 6.1%
  • Windshield washer fluid.

Votes: 10 1.0%
  • Water Wetter(or equivalent) @ manufacturers recommended concentration.

Votes: 80 8.3%
  • 5/95% Water Wetter(or equivalent)/distilled water

Votes: 74 7.7%
  • plain distilled water

Votes: 140 14.6%
  • Any of the above with bleach or any other biocide. OR OTHER PLEASE LIST BELOW!

Votes: 83 8.6%

• Total voters

Silversinksam

Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©
I was asked to start this poll :)

This testing will have three goals:

To see if the solution has any anti-corrosion properties at all.

Attempt do determine the minimum concentration required of anti-corrosion additives.

Test the effectiveness of common anti-corrosion additives as a biocide.

using the same 25% antifreeze/sink water for 1.75years. no corrosion, no alege, no living cultures, no nothing. booya.

I used to use 10% windshield washer fluid/90% distilled water in my setup, for over a year (as much as 30% at times).
It worked okay, and kept the bugs out.
There's about zero anticorrosive additives in there, most car makers have an all plastic washer system in them.
As far as I know, the blue stuff is ~30% alcohol, distilled water, and some mild detergents & color in small ammounts.

Anyway, now I just use plain distilled water. My system is all copper or brass (in the core), so there's little need to make it into a toxic dump.
Temps didn't change any when my fluid changed, just so ya know.

Distilled water, some small addition of Water Wetter and a dab of 99% pure alcohol that I added after a while for the heck of it.

I voted 'Other'.

I use exacltly (measured it fairly accurately anyways ;)) 15% Prestone brand "Dexcool Anti Freeze" / 85% Distilled water, although I think I will up the concentration to about 25% due to the Anodized Aluminum in the circuit with lots of copper, and paranoia. Why Prestone Dexcool, and not mundane "Blue" anti-freeze?

It makes the water look orange :)

I have vote other: plain tap water, system has been running for over 6 months and still have to see any problem. Any problem I can think of is my tubing (Clearflex) changed color/appearance, as oppose to my Tygon who still looks the same way as when I first install it in my system.

My water cooling setup is in the mail when it comes it will be:

10% antifreeze 90% Distilled water.

Anyone know where I can get Blue Antifreeze?

I have used various different combinations of fluids in a couple of different systems, now I mainly stick with distilled water and a very small amount of water wetter.

I don't often go more than a few months without changing something in a system, but I have a few times and Water Wetter and distilled water have seen no growths or visible corrosion in any of my systems. I have gotten discoloration of cheap vinyl tube however.

I've always wondered why we don't use ammonia instead of water? It has both higher CP and CV than water. Plus it would desimate ANY living organisms.:D

About 12% Dex-Cool. No corrosion problems, but the tubing got a film over it. That might or might not be the Dex-Cool, I'm not sure. Next time around I'll be using about 10-15% Methanol as well.

Back