• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

tight timings or many mhz for gaming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaRky4YoU

What is important for gaming , tighter memory timings or higher memory mhz?

example:

cas 3 pc 3700 or cas2 pc 3200 , both corsair, what would be better for gaming?

its for an intel 2.8 c , lol if i can overclock the memory of course i will ... if not stock speed

just wondering whats better pc 3700 cas 3 or pc 3200 cas 2

both the same actually, the pc3200 will run 3700 speeds at cas 3, and the 3700 will prolly run cas 2 @ 200mhz...

the only thing those numbers say is that they guaranty (sp?) the RAM to run at those specs...

If you OC your CPU, you would OC the RAM too unless u use dividers offcourse, id say you just OC the CPU as far as it will go, MHZ means a bit to games, as does RAM, play with it, the CAS2 ram will go higher than 200mhz if you OC it ;)

can i recommend Mushkin lvl2 ram? it is guaranteed to run 2-2-2-5/6 at even 3700 speeds because it has BH-5 chips...

my bh-5 mushkin will do 3-2-2-2 (i think, i have bad memorey and i'm not home, maybe that last one is a 5...) at 220 easily. at least thats what i'm running it at... and 2.9 volts, which its more than safe at.

It also depends what video card you have and if you're running with AA/AF. If your vid card's bandwidth is maxed out, it won't matter how fast your cpu or memory is at.

Example, on my 9800Pro in 1280x960x32bpp with 4XAA/8XAF, I average 43 FPS in a single lap in Need for Speed (using FRAPS) at 1.8Ghz, 1.9Ghz, 2.0Ghz, and 2.1Ghz with all else being equal. If I were to run with no AA/AF, there would be noticeable bumps in FPS.

Whichever provides the highest memory speeds will give you the best performance. With Intel rigs, memory throughput is usually more sensitive to raw MHz than to timings.

wow thx that revieuw showed me tighter timings are better for games thx man :) should be a sticky :/

Back