• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IDE to SATA converters

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WejRepus

I was wondering if it was possible to put one of these converters onto a DVD/CD-RW drive? i know that they are advertised for HDD but for the simple case of wanting to use smaller cables i was wondering if i could hook my optical drive up to a sata connector using this converter....

They sell adapters like this on ebay and they all state that they will work for optical drives. I dont see why it wouldnt since its just converting IDE to SATA. I beleive that they would work :D.

The converters based on a marvel chip (like Highpoint Rockethead 100) do not support ATAPI, the silicon image based products do.

heh, i was wondering the same thing. i actually have a sata converter i'm not using at the moment, if i wasnt in love iwht my optical drive i'd plug it in and find out, but even a .02% chance of damage is 100% too much :p

yeah, i second the previous poster.
make sure that they are ATAPI compatible, as some adapters are not, for the rest it shouldn't be a problem.

Back