• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best nVidia card for under 150

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mike521

in case PNY won't RMA my current card cause I don't have a receipt, I'll need a new one.

I won't be giving any business to PNY after this if they don't work with me, so leave them out of the drawing :)

I have no idea which manufacturers are the best these days either, so thoughts on that are good also.

I wouldn't mind buying one off of ebay either, but prefer brand new..

Thanks in advance for any tips :)

edit: by the way I heard a while back that the new geforce cards are loud. I HATE noise, so if there are any that are still quiet then thats a factor also..

Last edited:
There is only one model that was considered loud and that's the 5800. Since your limit is set at $150, I've seen 5700 Ultras go for $150 @ Best Buy (or Fry's).

what about a 5900..

I thought I saw someone say a 5900 is 175.. would I notice a huge difference between a 5700 vs 5900? (I mean is it worth the extra 25 bucks)

by the way how much better are these then my ti 4200?

I didn't mention the 5900 because of your budget, but it would be an even better buy. GameVE has the BFG Asylum 5900 (/w CoD) for $170 free shipping.

The difference will be big.. think about being able to turn up image quality settings to max and having AA/AF on without a huge drop in performance. :)

wow thats a really good deal, for only 20 bucks more you can't go wrong. I can stretch a little that way

I'll call PNY about the RMA tomorrow and if they screw me then I'll get this new card + never buy another PNY product again

thanks for the info :) is that manufacturer good?

BFG is the best nVidia manufacturer there is, and with a lifetime warrenty, cant be beat in that dept.

Cards made for gamers, by gamers. The VP of the company holds the trophy from the world championship for Q3 :)

Mike521 said:
what about a 5900..

I thought I saw someone say a 5900 is 175.. would I notice a huge difference between a 5700 vs 5900? (I mean is it worth the extra 25 bucks)

by the way how much better are these then my ti 4200?

I'm the one who bought the card at $175 at buy.com. That was a sale quite a while back. But I had sold it and upgraded to a ATI 9800 pro. this is because I saw a deal at the local microcenter.com store for $240, plus they give an additional $50 rebate if you apply for a credit card.

If you want to stick with nvidia, I will go with the EVGA 5900SE. I think newegg is selling that card for $185 and it comes with a full version of Call of Duty.

By the way, the 5900SE or 5900NU will blow your TI-4200 away. That card will make the TI-4200 look like crap.

The downside for the Nvidia FX series, is that you are taking your chances with DX9 games.

thanks for the tips! I'm gonna look into those cards --

what do you mean about taking my chances with DX9? :(

I'd like to stick with nvidia because I have an nforce mobo, and the combo of nvidia based mobo and vid card has made for the most stable system I've had in years, which says a LOT since computers always crash. edit: I haven't had a crash since last may when I got this setup.. edit2: oh wait thats not true, it crashes now cause the card is fried lol. ok 2 crashes since first installation of this hardware!

You won't be taking any chances with DX9. TRAD uses PS2.0 and the 5900 still gets about 90FPS.

Mike521 said:
thanks for the tips! I'm gonna look into those cards --

I'd like to stick with nvidia because I have an nforce mobo, and the combo of nvidia based mobo and vid card has made for the most stable system I've had in years, which says a LOT since computers always crash. edit: I haven't had a crash since last may when I got this setup.. edit2: oh wait thats not true, it crashes now cause the card is fried lol. ok 2 crashes since first installation of this hardware!

Trust me, the combo of nVidia chipset and video card will have no effect on your stability. I've had no problems every with stability with my nForce/9500 Pro combo, and its served me very, very well

ATi cards work fine in the nforce boards. Its one of the few cases where a product works like its suppose too, and plays nice with the other kids in the sandbox.

Mike521 said:

This is the word out there now. The current "DX9" games that are released are not true DX9 games. They are considered as hybrids to DX9 games. The most crucial element in DX9 is shader 2.0. When they run benchmarks between ATI and Nvidia on Shader 2.0, Nvidia always bench half the score of ATI. The problem with Nvidia is that their video cards are design to max out for DX8 games. That is why Nvidia vid card benches higher in DX8 games than ATI. Unfortunately, this cause them to lag behind in DX9 games.

Truthfully, I don't think anyone really know how Nvidia and ATI will match up when HL2 is released. I did heard a rumor that in order to run at the highest resolution for that game, you will need 2G of memory. I find that hard to believe.

guys I'm looking on gameve.com...

why is there such a huge price difference between the BFG 5900 and the Abit 5900? ...

http://www.gameve.com/gve/Store/ProductDetails.aspx?sku=VC-BFG-002

http://www.gameve.com/gve/Store/ProductDetails.aspx?sku=VC-ABIT-010

edit: the description for the abit one says DVI out etc, and also says 256 bit GPU... what about the BFG one?

edit2: just at a glance I'm seeing a lot of 5900's for much higher price than the BFG one.. what do they have that the BFG one doesn't? am I going to buy this and then be ****ed cause I have the lowest end 5900 model..?

Last edited:
whats the difference between a 128 card and a 256 one of same brand so on... i mean how much more of performance would I get? outa the 256one.

Mike521 said:
guys I'm looking on gameve.com...

why is there such a huge price difference between the BFG 5900 and the Abit 5900? ...

http://www.gameve.com/gve/Store/ProductDetails.aspx?sku=VC-BFG-002

http://www.gameve.com/gve/Store/ProductDetails.aspx?sku=VC-ABIT-010

edit: the description for the abit one says DVI out etc, and also says 256 bit GPU... what about the BFG one?

edit2: just at a glance I'm seeing a lot of 5900's for much higher price than the BFG one.. what do they have that the BFG one doesn't? am I going to buy this and then be ****ed cause I have the lowest end 5900 model..?

Just sound like a super overprice Abit 5900 vid card. No matter what features it has, it is definitely not worth that kind of money.

rcillig said:
whats the difference between a 128 card and a 256 one of same brand so on... i mean how much more of performance would I get? outa the 256one.

For current games, you get "NOTHING". No games out there right now can utilize the full 256MB. There are still a lot of games that just use 64MB.

But for HL2 and Doom 3, they could use the full 256MB memory.

someone replyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Mike521 said:
someone replyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

reply on what? The reason for the difference in price for the 5900? There is no difference. Just an overprice card. You will have to contact gameve.com for the real reason for that price.

Back