• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

who has dual moniters and why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have dual 15" because I had a spare monitor.

The main one runs at 1024x768 and runs whatever Im working on. I use the second one for Winamp, MSN and FAH.

do you want to die with a little sissy monitor

or do you want to die with A MANS monitor

i wasnt to sure when i first started my duel monitors now i wont go back

my main rig has a nvidia riva tnt2 agp and some no name pci 8mb card ( cost me 29 bucks)

and i have one good 17 inch monitor and one not so good 15 inch

its soo awsome to have

i put the monitoring stuff in the small one ( winamp Aim downloads prime95 )

and do my normal thing in my main window

the other cooll thing i do is i do vnc full screen on the second montior so its like having two comptuers but you can use the same mosue and keyboard at the same tiem with out havnig to switch.

I do at my office, I keep my calendar program and instant messaging program open on one monitor and I use Wordperfect and my online apps on the other. makes it much easier to multitask on the job.

I have a second montor for the sole purpose of winamp.
Its nice to be able to choose songs without minimizing other windows or quitting your game.

I had a spare 17 sitting in the garage, so why not?

i was thinking of doing dual monitors, so is it possible to have a game open on one, and have all my apps open on the other? How does this work with the mouse?? COuld someone go more indepth as this is really intesring (boss couldnt yell at me that im gaming, could also be "working" on photoshop =P)

most new games lock the mouse into the monitor the game is playing

i did run into some old games that would let you move the mouse off the game basicly

but if you clicked anything it would minimize the game and bring up what you clicked

occasonaly youll run into some not glitchs but some weridness when you ahve the game set to a diffrent resolution that the montoris

you can disable the 2nd montior in like 30 seconds so its never been a big deal for me i just go in deactiavate it and play my game when i get back i just turn it back on

ultra mon has (among other useful dual monitor features) a "lock mouse to primary monitor" feature. I have it setup with a hotkey bound to one of the never used keys on my logitech keyboard. Works great for that occasional game that is a pain about this. I also have a key bound to disable secondary, since some games will complain about that too.

i mean if you have a spare monitor left over just run down to compusa ( or equivlant) and buy the cheapest pci video card you can

I find it great for multi-tasking.... like everyone else said.

I use other computers and wish I had brought my 2nd monitor along ... its a great tool.

At one point I had 3 monitors, but It was really overkill.

One 19 and one 17 is plenty for me.

I used to have 2 19's(CRT) for my dual. man it was a blast, watching anime on one while playing games on the other :D, but they just consume too much space :(, my room is not that big. I got an LCD now, and ditched my dual mon., but now, im getting that dual monitor itch again :p, but this time, I might get another LCD :D.

I have dual dual monitors. My second PC has a Micron 19" flat Trinitron and a CTX 17" using dual video cards. My main PC has 2 Dell P1110 21" flat screen Trinitron's running off one FX5600 Ultra video card. I do a lot of CAD homework and I run email and or Office off the second screen. I got both monitors off EBay. One for $300 a couple of years ago and 1 this week for $159, shipping included.

Last edited:
Spawn182 said:
I am using a 21" CRT and a 19" CRT (both at 1600x1200) for graphix editing. Mostly MAX and ACAD or two MAX sessions.
Great workflow :)

you are crazy max crashes enough just being opeon once, being open twice it crahses everytime the stars shift. What are making basic polygon scense ;) ;)

I have a matched set of Samsung 19s, one in silver, one in black - to coordinate with my whole desk setup.

I gotta say, going to a single monitor setup makes me feel cramped - gotta love the two monitor setup for multitasking, well EVERYTHING.

both my major boxes use dual monitors. just so i can have the major monitor do to whatever on and have a 2nd to keep crap aside so its not in my face all the time. i use UltraMon software so it gives me 2 seperate taskbars, one on each monitor. its pretty cool :)

i do, b/c it's great being able to read while waiting on photoshop, or being able to view both a source and a paper i'm typing w/o leaving the keyboard...

Back