• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tired to install a Global Win FOP-38 Socket and it broke my clip! What now?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aveman

I tried to install a Global Win FOP-38 Socket and when I got it on the clip broke, the one you hook onto first, there was too much pressure, this really sucks, I just got the board a little over a week ago, it is an Asus CUSL2-C, will Asus take it back under warrenty? Anyone know of any solutions? What are the larger clips beside the middle ones for?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

You mean your slug broke. you could try to find another clip that uses the ofset slugs but thats pretty hard..... i stick with my standard intel clip when i change heatsinks ( 4 so far) nice and easy to get on and off (retail intel was black small heatsink for celeron cBo with a simple clip design)

We need clarification on what actually broke. You are saying the clip, does that mean the retainer spring clip that holds the heatsink on. If so, you can use any one off another sink. I suspect you mean one of the little plastic tabs on the socket that hold the retainer clip. In that case, you probably will have to return the motherboard and yes, it should be covered under warranty.

Yes it is the plastic tab on the socket. I am definetaly going to use a lighter spring when I install this again, that is if I can get it changed. Cause the spring on the Global Win is very tight and also has a very annoying cliping design, your supposed to use a screwdriver, and when you do chances are that the metal clip will fly off and you run the risk of scrapping your board. I put piece of plastic there just incase and sure enough it happened, my old sink was for an Athlon and it had a very tight spring, I would say almost as tight but was much easier to work with.

Thanks for you help.

Back