• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

It is sad, but it is time to switch

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tainice

Hey guys, I think I will switch to apple from now on...before u guys stone me to death, allow me to explain my situation. Well, I am a student majored in design...in which, a Mac is almost mandatory.ƒ¼ After saving for the past six months, I will order my first Mac ever, a dual 1.8 with 9600pro (never a big gamer) with 2g of ram, this week. And with all those expensive software (Adobe creative suit, flash MX and etc), I don¡¦t think I will have money to upgrade for at least a year or more¡Kand face it, more than 90% of industry uses Mac (although apple only has like what..3% of market share, not too sure) Well, I really have to say thanks to all of you and needless to say all those great memories. Special thanks to SSS, Old man and Big red (in random order) for too many reasons. I hope I can find a real job soon in the near future, so I can once again be a proud member of the forum.

I heard rumours that they would be moving to 90nm process this summer, and releasing a dual 3ghz version? Supposidly that's what Steve Jobs said in a interview recently.

You CAN overclock Macs!!!

don't think you can't be a member,

Overclocking a Mac is like going back to the 486 days, using Jumper settings,

but it can be done, heck you could turn other Mac heads into Overclockers, and maybe get your own CPU section going.

"May those who haven't touched a Mac throw the first stone."
- Jeebus, entirely unrelated to Jesus

I can't disagree with tainice about his decision. I've been trying to go Mac for 6 months but $ is just the biggest issue. They are so darned expensive. I do game a little, so that has also held me back some. Mac's have certainly come a long way.

i totally understand what you guys saying, the main point is, i won't have money to fool around with PC parts no more...
Of course i can mod and overclock a mac, i have seen plenty of those online, but they are not easy to do in comparsion with pc (in most of case, change of bios should be enough). persionally, i see no difference in mac and pc, the biggest difference is the SOFTWARE...

Nothing wrong in getting a Mac, Now Apple's market share will be 3.0000000000001 thx to you :)

Last mac I used was an Apple IIe, let us know how you fare with it.

How are they almost mandatory for imaging? For music, I can understand, that's the only way I can tolerate a dual G4 blaspheming the band room ;), but what makes the Mac so special for graphics? I'm not trying to bash, its just something that I don't see. Xeons and Opterons come close, match, or beat Macs from what I remember in a few benchies.

Edit: just realized that my sig might put me out as a blind hater. The aesthetics, OS, one-button mouse, Ipod, and Apple fanboy attitudes are what make my * > Apple statement. I can talk evenly about performance ;).

Mac can't be boiled down to benchmarks. My Mac experience (with OS X mind you) is a wonderful discovery into the acstetically pleasing side to computers. I love there design, hardware and software. Now with the G5 processor, Mac has come into it's own with powerful computing and practical solutions. Look at virginia techs super computer! I love OS X, definately my favorite operating system. Love the fact its based on Unix.

What makes them manadatory is the profusion of Macs in the graphic design industry. True, other processors do as well or better. True, almost all the major software is available on the Windows platform as well as the Mac. However, it is the same situation in the music industry. Several years ago, when Macs still had proprietary components, it was the best choice for music or graphics. Most of the software was written exclusively for the Mac. Over years of people using the Mac, it has become so ingrained in the industry that it is considered standard. Even now that they use many of the same components as PCs, many people wouldn't consider you to be a legitimate part of the industry unless you use a Mac. It may not make sense, but it simply is. Also, by using a PC it would make it difficult to deal with others in the industry. A mac can read PC formatted CD/floppy, but PCs tend to have difficulties with Mac formatted disks.

I am trying to become a Mac and PC guy at the same time. I'm making an attempt to sell a few PC's that I have and use so that I may buy a nice Apple system for myself.

Sorry, PC guys, but Apple makes a better computer. It's fun just to use one. Pretty GUI, fast, stable. It just works.

I hope you enjoy switching as much as I know I will, tainice!

druidelder said:
A mac can read PC formatted CD/floppy, but PCs tend to have difficulties with Mac formatted disks.

Good point that I missed, probably the only one that might ever make me slightly consider breaking it if I was in a similar position (which I might be in the future).

I've used OS X (sparingly, of course ;), but Ive used it), and it just seems that this and everything else visible about Macs are just overrated. I guess I have a strong case of frustration when the geek-ignorant ;) ooh and ahh over the stupid looks. Don't mean to bash, but its there- sort of like how people ask you if you have a "cable modem". Whatever.

mateo said:
How are they almost mandatory for imaging? For music, I can understand, that's the only way I can tolerate a dual G4 blaspheming the band room ;), but what makes the Mac so special for graphics? I'm not trying to bash, its just something that I don't see. Xeons and Opterons come close, match, or beat Macs from what I remember in a few benchies.

Edit: just realized that my sig might put me out as a blind hater. The aesthetics, OS, one-button mouse, Ipod, and Apple fanboy attitudes are what make my * > Apple statement. I can talk evenly about performance ;).

actually, use of pc is a ok in most part since OS X is alot more toleratable to pc than those of old, and i know tons of professors who use a pc instead of a mac (bu they are into tons of multimedia stuffs, so it is ok) The only industry that truly requires mac is probably the magazine industry. anyway, my switch has something to do that all our labs are mac based, and sometimes i cannot carry over fonts from mac to pc unless they are opentype (very few of them tho), plus all those free fonts my professors give to us (mac only);) I am still in the process of adjusting to the single mouse, but appearly, OS X supports mouse with multi buttoms natively..

Mac is just cool to use i guess, very nice GUI, unix, pretty fast (my new mac should score much higher than my current pc in terms of everything) and once it combos up with my studio display...yummy.

PC is still the king in raw hourse power, if not for sofware reason, i'd stay with pc...maybe i will get a powrbook for fun:)

To SSS, Yeah, i will report back once my new mac is here (next 10 days or so) and boy oh boy, i can hardly wait!!:eek:

OSX is a nice operating system.

A Mac is a nice all around machine compared to the likes of Dells or Gateways, or a gaudy ghetto rigged unstable overclocker pc with a cookie-cutter case window.

I'd like a G5, just don't have the cash. Plus, when I do have the cash, I'm sure I'll be buying PC parts. But still, I'd like to have a G5 with the 24" cinema screen...

I'm thinkin' I'll just marry a Mac-girl...that way I get a G5 without having to lose any of my PC parts... :D

Oh, and I wish Apple would port OS X over to the PC platform...you'd think they could with the G5's...wouldn't mind adding that to my boot menu...

Maybe you can find a friend whose parents bought him a G5, and he can gut it for you and give you the leftovers while he throws a cheap Athlon inside.

XWRed1 said:
Maybe you can find a friend whose parents bought him a G5, and he can gut it for you and give you the leftovers while he throws a cheap Athlon inside.

I think someone in this forum already done that.

Back