• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

linux newb plz help if u have linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

capmuffin

i want to try linux but i dont know much about it i hear its good and would like to try some of the games using it i want to know what i need and i have an 80 gig that i can partition,does it take a lot out of the CPU,i might get another 80 because they are only 20 bux at office max 80 gig WD 8mb cache..3yr...i want to know which version to use i can burn it onto a CD and DL it NP with my high speed.which sould i do and what do i need plz help the nub,hey i aint that dumb im 15 and i overclock and things and i know a lot of ***** so dont be like "aww nub lata":D :D :rolleyes: :mad:

Since you're new to linux, you might want to start with something like mandrake. You should partition your harddrive and install the latest version of mandrake. You can download the cdimages to install it. Play around with it for a while. If you don't like mandrake, don't give up on linux, try something else (I used mandrake for a couple months and realy disliked it). I have heard many god things about SUSE. I also like debian, but Gentoo is my current favorite distro.

Welcome to the forums capmuffin :)

If you want to try out Linux to see what it's like, try Knoppix or Overclockix. They boot totally from the CD and they don't need installing at all Knoppix is (I think) a rebuild of Gentoo Live and Overclockix is a distro that our very own Arkaine23 made. The great thing about these ones is that you don't have to boot into Windows or alter your windows install at all so it's a good way to try it out.

Once you have played around with it a bit and you decide to install a bigger one properly onto your hard disk, you have more options. Mandrake is nice as is Debian. If you want to download the .iso's try (..) here. Overclockix can be downloaded from here.

The CD images can be burned onto CD's using Roxio or Nero.

If you can't work out how to burn them, or you can't download them, you can send us the CD's and we will do it for you here for free :)

Help on making Linux CD's

From ftp://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/Mandrake/iso/README:

With Easy CD Creator:
--------------------
Open Easy CD Creator
Go to "File"
then to "Create CD from disc image"
make sure to change the bottom drop down menu ("Files of type:") to say
"ISO image files"
It will do the rest after you browse to the *.iso file
(Thanks for zacheyer)

With Nero Burning Rom:
----------------------
Open Nero.
Close the wizard if it is started automatically.
Go to "File"
then to "Burn Image...".
In the next dialog, click on "Image Files (*.nrg)" and select "All files
(*.*)".
Choose the .iso file and accept.
In the following dialog make sure:
- Type of Image is: Data Mode 1
- Block size: 2048
- Image header: 0
- Image trailer: 0
- All the checkboxes are unactive.
Click "OK".
In the next dialog check that the "write" and "finalize" option are active.
Click on "Write".
(Thanks Antonio Asensi)

Download Mandrake 9.2

Debian downloads

Knoppix

Gentoo

Last edited:
yeah yo but i wanna try redhat overclockix sounds mad cool cuz ima tweeker,my friend uses red hat and he likes it which is best

Having a friend who uses Linux can be a big help when you're first learning to use it.

Gentoo, Debian, Libranet, Knoppix, Morphix, ClusterKnoppix, Jollix, Overclockix (made that one myself out of Knoppix), and Redhat

I also use windows 2000, solaris 8, FreeBSD, and OpenBSD.

PS- Don't let me fool you. I'm still a Linux noob. ;)

my pops is taking care of the burning,he has done things like it before,and has burt over 2000 cd's (at least) i am buying another 80 GB and overclockix seems cool(Tw33k3r $tyl3) and the drivers seem easy nforce2 i saw and it sounded good,now i read that NTFS is bad for linux plz help on that now

Some distros do not include support for NTFS at all. Some distros (most new ones) include a driver that allows for files to be read, but not written to NTFS. This is because M$ doesn't want to help Linux out and so Linux ppl have had to reverse engineer NTFS a little to make a Linux driver for it.

There's something new that allows you to take a windows kernel and NTFS.sys file from windows and use them from Linux to write safely to NTFS filesystems (called captive NTFS). And the shiny new Linux kernel 2.6 also supports writing to NTFS. Still most current distros do not feature either of these yet, though they can be added on with a little work once you've installed Linux.

Ideally, before you install Linux, you should have 3-10GB of unpartitioned space on your hard drive. Linux has its own filesystems and the install utilities will let you partition your drive for Linux.

ok thanks bro,i wan genna buy another 80 would that work,and also i hear that if i put the two hd's together i can select which one to boot from(mobo book ABIT AN7,PWNZ nf7-s W00T)

capmuffin said:
ok thanks bro,i wan genna buy another 80 would that work,and also i hear that if i put the two hd's together i can select which one to boot from(mobo book ABIT AN7,PWNZ nf7-s W00T)

Yep, it should be something like:

First boot disk: HDD-0
could change it to HDD- 1,2,3 :)

Back