• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need your help badly!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well...I'll compromise :) You can try your best to convince me to build a PC. I am good at installing harddrives, CD-RW's, memory, etc, but am clueless when it comes to processors and MOBO's.

I have replaced my power supply...and did that myself. However, I just plugged all the cords into the same place as my old PS. Didn't really take too much thought.

Basically...if I build a PC..I've got to get at least the following specs for UNDER$900.

P4 800Mhz FSB 3.0Ghz
512MB DDR Memory
80GB SATA HD
128MB Graphics Card
Windows XP Home

That's just a general set of specs. I say this because for about $1000-1100 I can buy a PC already built from a local dealer who uses all quality parts...not to mention, I get support as well. And the huge hassle of buying it elsewhere.

Can I build a "top" machine for that amount of money? I just don't think it's possible...

Win XP Home: $180
128MB G Card:$200
512MB DDR M: $100
P4 3.06Ghz : $250-300

Right there is $800 and I haven't even began to price Hard drives, motherboard, cases, fans, etc.

first off ur looking in the wrong places if ur getting those prices. go to www.pricewatch.com so much better

p4 3.0 $189
abit 1c7 $113
512M pc 3200 $73
geforce fx 5900 128m $177
x super alien 500w case w/ fans $189
120gig sata $84

that aind bad and thats basically all u need maby get urself a burner for 50 bucks

thats all u need for 900

Hmm...those prices aren't bad. However, I can easily match those specs with Dell. In fact, I can really surpass it with their specials.

For example...here is a dell special at the moment:

3Ghz 800Mhz FSB Pentium 4
512 MB DDR Memory
120GB SATA HD
128MB DDR Graphics
CD-RW/DVD-ROM
17" Flat Panel (!!!)
Works Suite 2004
Windows XP Home

Now...please tell me how I could surpass that building my own machine! I say it's impossible. Not to mention, who knows what I can get a few months down the line after summer.

Also, you forgot Windows XP Home as well in that price. That will sent it aout $170 more. And those prices you listed didn't have a monitor(although I didn't say that), let alone any productivity software.

I just am not seeing how you can save money building it yourself. Although...I'll have to eventually copy down that info you posted for research...so thanks.

Yea, what kind of 128mb graphics...5200's have 128mb...probably worthless RAM and a power supply hanging on by a fringe...not to mention loaded up with 8gb of useless software...They find shortcuts to take believe me

128mb graphics card means nothing. find out what card it actually is, and you may have yourself a very good deal.

dell also may not be using pc3200, since they could save money by using the 5:4 ratio and using slower memory. can you get more specific specs on the dell comp? they love to put vague things like "512mb DDR"

as for pci video cards...if you want to hold yourself over until you get a new comp, you can get a geforce 2 MX pci card for $38 and free shipping at newegg: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=0&submit=Go&description=pci,geforce

now, that paired with a 1.3 celeron is certainly not guaranteed to play games well, but it's certain to be better than what you currently have. a 5200 is not worth 3x as much as the geforce 2 MX listed above.

as for building a new system, www.pricewatch.com paired with www.resellerratings.com are your friends. if you want to order everything from one store, www.newegg.com is your friend.

EDIT: typo :D

Last edited:
Um...I just redid the customization and posted the entire summary below. Maybe you can take a look at that and see if it's worth it. Came to about $920. Sorry if it looks all smashed together, best copy and paste does! :) But yeah..it's a 5200 graphics card.

Dimension 4600
Date & Time: March 24, 2004 3:12:45 PM

SYSTEM COMPONENTS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dimension 4600 Qty 1
Pentium® 4 Processor with HT Technology 3GHz w/800MHz FSB, Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition Unit Price $917.00

Catalog Number: 29

Module Description Product Code Sku Id
Dell Dimension 4600 Series Pentium® 4 Processor with HT Technology 3GHz w/800MHz FSB W308H [221-3720] 1
Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition WHXP [313-7222][420-1921][412-0409] 11
Memory FREE UPGRADE! 512MB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM at 400MHz 512M4P [462-1890] 3
Keyboard Dell® Quietkey® Keyboard QK [310-1582] 4
Monitor FREE UPGRADE! New 17 in E172FPb Flat Panel Display E172FPP [462-8471] 5
Video Card 128MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Graphics Card with TV-Out and DVI 128FX52 [320-0735][320-2575] 6
Hard Drive 120GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) 120S [340-9022] 8
Floppy Drive and Additional Storage Devices 3.5 in Floppy Drive FD [340-8860] 10
Mouse Logitech® MX™ 500 Optical Mouse MX500 [310-4222] 12
Network Card Integrated Intel® PRO 10/100 Ethernet IN [430-0412] 13
Modem 56K PCI Data Fax Modem DFAX [313-2279] 14
CD or DVD Drive Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + FREE UPGRADE! 48x CD-RW Drive DVDCDRP [462-6817][313-0917][430-0594][462-7810] 16
Sound Integrated 5.1 Channel Audio IS [313-2758] 17
Speakers Dell A425 Speakers with Subwoofer A425 [313-2134] 18
Productivity Software Microsoft® Works Suite including Money® DWORKS [412-0629] 22
Security Software McAfee Security Center w/VirusScan, Firewall and Privacy, 90-day trial MCAFE90 [412-0632] 25
Digital Music Dell Jukebox powered by MUSICMATCH MMBASE [412-0516] 27
Digital Photography Dell Picture Studio, Paint Shop Pro Trial, Photo Album Starter Edition DPS [412-0521] 28
Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options 1 Year Limited Warranty plus 1 Year At-Home Service SQ111OS [950-4430][950-3337][950-9797][412-0359] 29
Internet Access Services 6 Months America Online Internet Access Included AOLDHS [420-3224][412-0625][412-0587] 37
Multi-Media Players RealOne™ Player, with 14 day SuperPass trial REALBAS [412-0380] 40
FREE TurboTax Basic FREE TurboTax® Basic for Tax Year 2003 TAX [420-4125] 106
Dell Media Experience Dell Media Experience DMX [412-0519] 115
TOTAL: $917.00

you stated above that you wanted a "top" machine
a 5200 is not the top of the line by ANY means, in fact it is the bottom of the line. a 5900 would suit that computer much better, even if it isn't the TRUE top of the line
do they offer a 5900?

"do they offer a 5900?"

Yeah...probably at an additional $100 or more dollars.

So, what do you recommend I do? Do you suggest I go with Dell or somewhere else? I need decent quality...which I believe Dell delivers. They may have bad technical support...but I could care less about that. Their machines seem pretty tough...and cheap! But, I think their cheapness stems more from the vast quantity of parts they order, rather then in cheap materials.

So...what do you think I should do? Do you suggest I spend the extra money to get an upgraded card? Or, do you suggest I order it with onboard graphics, and then buy a Radeon 9800 Pro seperately from newegg.com? That card has got to be top of the line, although I'm not sure I'll be able to afford it. It costs around $220 alone. Then again, all I have to do is sell my old PC and I can easily buy it! My current system is older...but I think I can get about $300 for it.

The Dell computers are good quality but they aren't very upgradeable or overclocking friendly. The 4600 comes with a 250W powersupply which powers the 4600 as configured. You add extra drives and you won't have enough power for a topend videocard. Also when under load the case fan is fairly loud. The motherboards and cases are proprietary and you can't upgrade the motherboard or the case, without a lot of hassle. If your going to buy the computer and run it in the original condition, Dells are a good choice but they are not for the enthusiast.

Ok then, I'm taking opinions openly! :) What do you think my best bet is then? I was just on the Dell site recently, and that same config was like 1050 w/o the flat panel monitor. That's a good price hike...although with Dell, the offers are as good as long as you act on them fast. One week a machine can be hundreds of dollars less, then 3 days later it's back to normal price.

Ok, I honestly don't need a PC with a ton of upgradibility. Maybe I'll do some more memory installation or something, but that's as far as it goes. So, what should I do? I definately DO NOT want a system with only a 250 watt power supply. Is there a better(cheaper) place then dell? I can probably spend about $800 to begin with, although if I sell my PC that shoots up to $1100.

But, for $1100, I could buy a laptop, which would make it me much more happier :)

I'd say get a console. All have their advantages and what not. You could go to half.com and pick up a used ps2 or xbox for around $130. Plus you will still have games coming out for at least another year. Plus they are starting to have more and more multiplayer options. I think i'm gonna pick up a ps2 soon. Theres just too many good looking games for it not to have it....

if you don't care about overclocking/upgrading, go with dell.

how much power do you need? if you edit/compress video/audio a lot, then you'll want a fast processor (and if it's video, you'll probably want a lot of ram as well). if you play old games (2 years ago and older) and don't want to play anything new, a 5200U might suffice. if you want to play newer things, get a 5900. Dell will make sure your computer will run with whatever power supply they give you, it's retarded to think they're going to leave the same power supply in no matter what components they put into the computer.

on the other hand, if you're interested in overclocking, get your own parts, do research on these boards, and make your decision

Hmm...so Dell doesn't necessarily put in the same PSU for every custom build? Actually, if I get a PC, it MUST be able to not only play any games that come out today, but also the games for several years to come. Can a Radeon 9800 even do that? Heck...I"m seeing games today that recommend 512MB Ram.

Newbieperson...you basically have my thoughts right now. I'm thinking, if I get a PS2 or XBOX, I am guaranteed to have any game I buy work flawlessly. Since games can't be returned, that makes things very scary in a PC. Not to mention, I don't have to worry about low resources, etc, in a console system. I currently have a gamecube, and I think the graphics are great. Great thing was...if I saw a game I'd like...I just got it, never having to worry about it not working.

Of course, that leads me to my other though: XBOX + PS2 will soon be outdated, right? I thought they were coming out with a new system in the near future. Which basically means that will be outdated as well, and the new system will probably be at least $300+.

So hard to make a decision...Dell or game system...Dell or game system... :) Benefit of a Dell is that I will also have a great system to play games and stuff on. Downside is that instead of $150 for an XBOX...I need to put out $1000+.

I think sometime in 2005 the new ones will come out. The upcoming ps looks like it will blow everything away including pcs.

I agree...it will be extremely powerful! Although, like every new system, there are no good games for it at first. Then again, if they teamed up and released a new version of Max Payne, Grand Theft Auto, it could blow away the competition and easily surpass their imagination! Although, I honestly hope they stick with the ability to play previous games from their previous system. It was a smart idea by PS2.

Back