• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is Glue Bad for passive Northbridge heatsink?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rdrash

Senior Member, Benching Team Member
I have a L40mm x W40mm x H10mm fan that I would like to attach to my passive North Bridge heatsink....However, my SLK 947-U on the CPU will not allow me to line up the fan with the northbridge heatsink so attaching by screws is not likely. Does anyone know if using glue is "Bad Idea" or is it ok? Or can I remove the passive heatsink and cut it down and then attach the fan? I am looking for suggestions.

You should use some thermal addhesive instead of glue. This way you still can transfer heat to your heatsink almost like regular thermal paste and you dont have to use any glue which might affect heat transfer. I have heard that if you mix the adhesive with regular thermal paste 50/50 you should still be able to remove the heatsink if you so desire. Another option would be to use thermal tape. Hope some of this helped :).

Ad Rock said:
You should use some thermal addhesive instead of glue. This way you still can transfer heat to your heatsink almost like regular thermal paste and you dont have to use any glue which might affect heat transfer. I have heard that if you mix the adhesive with regular thermal paste 50/50 you should still be able to remove the heatsink if you so desire. Another option would be to use thermal tape. Hope some of this helped :).

Thanks for the input, What I am thinking of doing is attaching this fan to the passive heatsink somehow...I dont want to remove the heatsink, except if I have to cut it down a bit to fit the fan under the SLK947-U....If i cut the passive heatsink by about 2mm I think I can get this fan to sit on top of it, but will require some effrot to resize the screw holes on this fan...if I don't cut the passive heatsink on my northbridge then i have to find an alternative method of attaching this fan to it...so I thought glue might work, maybe it is bad idea??? How about tape? what else????

Hrmmm I am sorry man I somehow didnt see that you wanted to attach a fan, I thought you meant your heatsink (it is 3:50 a.m. ;) ). Anyway yah I dont see a problem using glue really as long as it is a small amount.

Thanks again Adrock...I thought you migt have mised something there...anyways...I am hoping that this additional fan could shave 1C off my heat readings.

Back