• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best way to smooth plexiglass edges?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Surreal

'Surreal please contact Krag ASAP'
Ok i cut some plexi with a saw and want to create shiny edges. Whats the best way?

Can i get a special grinding wheel and use it at low RPM.
CAn i get some sort of special egde cleaning machine?

I need a lowtime process. and i will be doing this MANY time over.

I have sanded/filed many peices on other projects but i can't do that anymore.

thx

I would give them a light sand, and then melt them a little with a propane torch. Don't light them on fire, just melt it a little till it gets smooth. I've done this many times, and it takes a few tries to get it just right, but once you get a hang of it, you'll be real fast.

get an electric sander and use 440 grit paper... easiest way... then like athayer187 said you can use a blow torch to make em look even better... as for plexi home depot may have it but look for a store that sells plastics they would most definitely have it...

BRASSO
In school about lets say under thirty years ago we made plexiglass keychains, cut them, heated them to twist and make shapes then we polished them to a glass smooth finish with 400 grit sand paper by hand then Brasso.

I ment to use the word AND instead of A. lol i sound like a backwoodsman.

itizme said:
BRASSO
In school about lets say under thirty years ago we made plexiglass keychains, cut them, heated them to twist and make shapes then we polished them to a glass smooth finish with 400 grit sand paper by hand then Brasso.

Holy crap! You did that, too!?

We sanded the edges w/ a small belt sander (or by hand) then polished the edges on a polishing wheel w/ some coarse wax polish.

i just jumped in the same boat. i just cut my polycarbonate case parts out and started filiing them down with a fine tooth file then hit it with 440. ill fine tune that with 600 wet/dry. theres a buffing wheel with a compound that looks like an eraser that will glass those edges. attach the buffing wheel to a drill get a little of that compound on it and light those edges up. makes em real perty. also if u need it theres a wipe on buffing compound for removing small scratches. its like that cd-repair stuff i think and it also works well. if all that fails try the wipe on buffing compound on a dremel buffing wheel.

Hex

Oni said:

Holy crap! You did that, too!?

We sanded the edges w/ a small belt sander (or by hand) then polished the edges on a polishing wheel w/ some coarse wax polish.

Oni, its Ontario, I think the schools have taught the same thing for a hundred years, no wonder why teachers have it made eh???

Back