• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A.i

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SybrCLocK

ok guyz... is it just me.. or i find all the games have lousy AI?
HL2 promised that theyr enemys will think and react upon how you move in the world... FALS... i had the demmo, wich was presented and when you passed a waypoint the enemy automaticly shoot in the same place every time...!!!

The only game that indeed has a SUPPER AI is Black and White.. where i saw the real interaction between man and PC. How you interacted with the crature reflected directly upon the behavior of it...

i know it takes ENORMOUS computing power to generate some good AI engines, but hey... "man" evolves exponantioly :)

savvy?

Yeah, games do have pretty bad AI. In Manhunt, if you're spotted, you can just run into the shadows and all of a sudden, you're gone (you can be spotted in the shadows if you're really close, however). They do search for you a little bit, but then go back on their route. I just think that's dumb; just because part of a place is "dark" doesn't mean you can't see a figure at all...meh.

Last edited:
take for instance....
Splinter Cell

you`ve got infrared goggles on... and sniff around the enemys... "ding dong" and he does not see ya... and the game could have been so good.. becouse the storyline was no bad.. and the new moves the game featured were great too.

SybrCLocK said:
i had the demmo, wich was presented and when you passed a waypoint the enemy automaticly shoot in the same place every time...!!!

savvy?

ok, you have a BETA[more of an ALPHA] , valve didn't have AI conig all done and implemented by E3[ which is the beta] so they scripted everything, and claimed it was A.I.... YEs HL2 IS going to have good A.I. but you must wait until the FULL game is released. If their physics engine is any indication of thier skills[the physics are truly amazing] then the A.I. is going to be as good as they claim.

They won't skimp on the AI in HL2. WHen HL first came out it basically had the best AI I had ever seen. Creatures would run away and find support if they are losing a battle. Marines would throw nades at you if you hid behind boxes and they would all run if you threw a nade at them. So I'm sure the actual game will have really good AI.

the HL2 demo you spoke of is a leaked source code and no where near done, furhter it is warez and forbidden to discuss on these forums.

take a look back even 3-4 years then complain

ai is moving at a pretty good pace

part of the problem with ai is that they dont have vision

you can hid in the shadows becuase the programers said you cant been seen there unless its X units away)

the ones that **** me of is when the computer "knows" where you are even though you havent give your self away yet

i agree, it's pretty hard. i get my *** kicked fairly often :D im speakin mainly of sports games, the AI has improved significiantly. take NBA Live, where you used to pump fake everytime, not this year

Crash893 said:
1i is moving at a pretty good pace

Agreed things have gotten wayyy beter. I remember some game from 91 that had Dennis Hopper in it. It was some kind of "hell" game. Things are way better now.

The AI in the Far Cry demo is notable. Enemies, take cover, call in support, flank you, etc. Their aim sucks though. But once they see you, they never "forget" and go about their normal business, as in many other games.

Call of Duty has some slightly good AI, but beyond point and shoot it's not that complicated. The NPCs all aim specifically for you rather than the rest of your NPC squad if they can see you. They will run away if you nade them and they make good use of walls for cover and such. The friendly AI is slightly better as you can see them advancing through trenches with their heads down etc. Most of the rest of the game is scripted though :-/

Black & white has excellent creature AI, or rather detail in the way it learns and imitates your actions. You can train it do do pretty much anything. The opponent AI on the other hand SUCKED, and so did the gameplay after 3 rounds of the same. It was simply osmostic - the "god" cared for the people by merely responding to wants of the villagers and made no aggressive advances on to your territory.

HL1 had some good run/fight descision-making AI, to the point where groups of marines would try to surround you before trying to kill you. The aliens were slightly less intelligent though - you hurt a slave beastie and it ran away, making no effort to kill you.

HL2 looks promising though...

when i mean good A.I i want to get the impression that the enemy is a human player... i dont want the character to learn new things during the game, instead he should have implemented a generous bunch of different situations.

i, if i may speak for myself... would not mind a 5GB game.. where 4GB are A.I different combat or non=combat situations.

WEll i think neuro logic will take over and we will see the end of scriptings (think LOTR TT big fight if you want an idea how neuro logic/networks work).

Until then we will just have to due with HL2 and hope they get it right!

Back