• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many wireless can I connect to my Wireless Router?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Exiler

K, I'll get straight to the point, also please note my knowledge of wireless products is a lot less than wired ones.

I've got a D-Link 614+ Wireless Router, it comes with 4 switches also to allow 4 wired connection.

In the manual I cant see any mention of exactly how many wireless connection can be made to it. Is it only just one? What if I want to connect more to it? Is there a limit? Or do I have to get a Access Point or something?

You can connect many wireless connections to that router, The limit is probably 256, which is how many clients it will support. A total of 256 between the wired and wireless in any combination.

There may be a 'written' limit somewhere, but trust me that there is an 'unwritten' limit. It depends primarily on how active the associations are. Games and p2p will bring a wireless network to its knees (read: half-duplex + polling + large packet count = crappy wireless). I can get about 60-70 mildly active users on a single ap, but only about 20-40 heavily active users..

Thank you all for the replies.

I was just worried about adding in the future of about 2 more wireless in the system, so I guess no worries for the moment.

In theory, it will handle 254 connections, wired or wireless. In practice, I wouldn't recommend more than 25-30 connections. Still much more than you would need.

-Bobby

Back