• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

20k in 3Dmark2001 with a 9700 Pro?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Summary of how I made 20k in 3Dmark2001 with a 9700 Pro.

1) Hardware is listed in my signature. Watercooled 2.4C running at 3.56 gig. Mushkin Level 2 RAM using the 3:2 ratio (DDR396) and 2,2,2,5 timings. WD Raptor SATA harddrive, two optical drives, and no PCI cards. Built by ATI 9700 Pro with Swiftech waterblock and Tweakmonster RAM sinks. Case is cooled with four 120mm fans. Abit IC7 mobo has modded northbridge air cooling and small passive southbridge sink. I can post a pic if anyone is truly interested.

2) Fresh HDD format and WinXP Pro installed, using service pack 1 and DirectX9b. The .inf drivers were installed from the motherboard install CD. The OS was optimized by following the guide at this website: http://www.blackviper.com

3) Virtual memory page file set to a static 1000 (since I had 1 gig of RAM). Use a higher amount if you have less RAM. I disabled everything in the task bar and in the startup (nothing running in the background hogging resources). I defragged the harddrive constantly and rebooted in between tests.

4) I flashed to the most recent BIOS update. In the BIOS I disabled on-board sound, USB, and printer port. Tried various AGP aperatures, but 128 seemed to work the best for me. Disabling video caching didn't do much that I could tell.

5) Disabling Hyperthreading helped a little.

6) Increasing the AGP voltage allowed me to O/C the vid card core 10 to 15 MHz more, but did nothing to increase vid RAM speed. (I know others claim this won't help, but it did improve stability in my system). Increasing AGP bus speed caused problems, so I left it locked at the default 66 Mhz.

7) Vid card settings were all set to maximum performance. AA and AF set to application preference. I overclocked the vid card until I just started seeing artifacts and then backed off a little. My vid was overclocked to core=400 and memory=350 using Powerstrip. Was rather disappointed how the RAM wimped out.

8) Cat 3.7 and Cat 3.5 seemed to work the best for me. My best score was with Cat 3.5, but I did other tweaks after I installed them, so I will try the Cat 3.7 drivers again. Was not happy with 3.2, 3.9, or 3.10. Did not try 4.1 or 3.4 yet. I'm going to play with the drivers some more tonight.

Did I miss anything?

I tried the Cat 3.4 drivers and they were about 24 points lower than the Cat 3.5. Next I tried Cat 3.7 which resulted in only 4 points less than the Cat 3.5, which is well within the margin of error, so essential both 3.5 and 3.7 scored the same in my particular system. I decided to stay with Cat 3.7 since they have more bugs fixed for various games and apps. Besides, I was too lazy to change the drivers again. Although, to be fair, I should test the Cat 4.1 drivers too I guess.

batboy, could you post a pic with the video card? i would like to check out the ram sinks and the core sink too..

do you have problems in games? i mean hangups?

Very impressive score, Donger. That's about what my 9800XT does.

Here ya go Sybr... Never have any problem in games.

9700+pro+mods4.jpg

9700+pro+mods3.jpg

batboy, i`m bringing this post to life again for a simple reason. i thought about changing the stock GPU sink, and replacing it with a stock P4 heatsink. What do you think about it? i dont know if the weight is to much

or did any of you replace the stock sink with any other CPU sink?

Sorry, I haven't looked at this thread in ages. I've seen people put big heatsinks on vid cards before, but don't ever recall seeing a P-4 sink on one though... they are sort of big and heavy. Anything's possible I guess.

Well, I just modified a spark 7 and mounted on my volt modded XT and then modded the stock hsf to fit on the back of the gpu. I went from max 2001se stable overclock of 510/420 to 535/437. No artifact jumped from 477/405 to 500/414. I was using a Giant II before. I looked at the stock intel hsf and it wouldn't fit on the XT. I'm not sure how it would fit on the 9700

a spark you say... hmmm..
Thermaltake Spark 7 @ 6000 rpm
pkrew did you lower the rpm`s or... is yout pc really loud?!

i just got 13085 with my ati 9600pro..thats good for me..as a matter of fact i did a compare results with other amd and ati 9600 series and i beat the highest score by about 400 points..now all i need is an ati 9800xt and ill be set(and that wont be for a while i just spent 600 bucks on upgrades last week)some day i hope to see the 20,000 range..great score

update..new score of 13125. the bad news is 3dmark shows my cpu as a duron so i searched the durons and im far from having the top score(oh well i had a moment of fame in my own mind)

Last edited:
It depends on what I'm doing with it. It pretty loud when I turn up all the fans but not bad when I set them down a bit. The case has 5 smart fan II and I have a 120mm antec smart cool with the thermistor shorted so it runs full on my memory. They get pretty load at full throttle. But not bad when I turn them down abit.I have to lower the overclock on the card when I do though. Overall I'm very happy with the upgrade.

Last edited:
Back