• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem updating with 2000

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JML

Someone I know is having trouble updating their Windows 2000 machine. He says when he goes to scan for updates, he gets an error message. I don't know the exact error message yet, I'm waiting for him to e-mail me back to find out.

If he is running a firewall have him drop the security level down one notch and see if that helps.

simply delete the windowsupdate folder and all the files and it should redownload itself and fix any errors...

you will also get this error it the date and time is WAY off. I know it sounds wierd but that was my problem. I had tried all of the suggestions above when i had this problem about 6mos ago and finally found a little blurb on the microsoft support site.

good luck

He tells me the error is 0x800138f. I'll point him in the direction of this page so that he can try some of the possible fixes you guys listed.

It can be a virus also. Soem recent virus out there has been identifed that won't let you access the web stes to update your virus guard and also to access the microsoft web site for the updates. So my siimple recommendation will be chesk for the virus too.

Back