• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock a 5900 Ultra to a 5950?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vrykyl

Tornado Guy
Ok, I own this card -
Leadtek 256mb 5900 Ultra
does anyone else own this exact card? what kinda levels are safe to overclock it to? i was hoping for at least 5950 speeds or above...
the stock timing on it at the moment are:
2D - 300mhz / 850mhz
3D - 450mhz / 850mhz
and what is the best way to OC it? iv got coolbits unlocked which is where im getting those timings from - is it ok to use this? how the hell do i save the original bios and then change it for a new one so its not just OC'd in windows? (iv heard this is bad for your card)
What could i get out of this with stock cooling? my current temps are 31°c and about 45°C under load.....
Thanks

Tornado Guy

where can i get the bios flash from and the utility to back up my old one? Thanks dude

Tornado Guy

thanks - is flashing the bios safer than a windows based OC? ie - doing the bios to a 5950 safer than adjusting the clock speeds to be the same in, for example - coolbits??

Tornado Guy

thanks - is flashing the bios safer than a windows based OC? ie - doing the bios to a 5950 safer than adjusting the clock speeds to be the same in, for example - coolbits??
I wouldn't say safer, you can hose the card up by flashing the BIOS. The only thing it accomplishes is making the speed permanent. OC'ing in windows allows you to change it back should you desire & carries no risk to the card.

Personally I think flashing the BIOS serves no purpose.

The Bios flash is safe. And as far as just OCing the card on my Bfg 5900nu I could only do 445core and 950memory. I did the flash with the leadtek BIOS and now I dont need to oc the card and I am at 475core and 950 memory.

thanks dude - as soon as my pc stops being dead - see the 911 section - ill get the files and give it a go - il report back with results. Thanks again

Tornado Guy

Back